We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iceland Itinerary help

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
DC
6 posts
Save Topic
Iceland Itinerary help

I am finalizing my itinerary, and I just can't decide what to do on my last free day. My itinerary is as follows:

Day 1: Arrive in Reykjavik at 6:00 AM. Spend day exploring Reykjavik/sleeping.

Day 2: Drive the Golden Circle

Day 3: EMPTY

Day 4: South Coast/Thorsmork jeep tour

Day 5: Whale Watching in AM - PM is free in Reykjavik

Day 6: Tour of Reykjanes peninsula/Blue Lagoon - then to airport to leave.

I am having a hard time deciding what to do on my extra day. Several tours I've seen are:

Sn��fellsnes peninsula tour

Mt. Hekla

Landmannalaugar

Langj��kull glacier tour (includes Hraunfossar waterfalls, ?ingvellir National Park, Deildartunguhver)

Any suggestions on which one to choose, or, is there another place that is a must-see? All you Iceland lovers, I definitely need your input on this. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Liz

kauai
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iceland Itinerary help

Leave early on your drive to Geysir and Gullfoss, stop no where else, not Eden, no where....But, spend plenty of time at both of these wonderful sites..... THEN, keep your room in the big city but head right to Skaftafell below Vatnajokull, if you must stop make it at Dyrholaey outside of vik, spend the nite in a farm house by the glacier... good luck

Pittsburgh, Pa.
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Iceland Itinerary help

We just returned from Reykjavik 2 weeks ago. And on day 1, all you'll want to do is sleep once you hit your hotel room, if your hotel lets you check-in early. We checked out the city for a few days and did all the things we had planned. Ate at the places we wanted to. Shopped and took lots of pictures. The most beautiful day we had, was the day we went on a 11 1/2 hours bus tour. Golden circle tour. Do it and get it outta the way. I have such great shots. Blue Lagoon was my favorite. My husband is a geologist and Iceland to him was like disneyworld. He enjoyed everything! As for whale watching, I believe the tours for that start in may or june. Just like the Air tours. Both were on my list but had to miss those. We had rented a Jeep and to tell you the truth, I can't read Icelandic to well and the road signs had me all mixed up. We would visit Iceland again, but maybe next time in the summer. The week goes by fast there. You will also want to return to see more.. Good luck and have a safe trip.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
145 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iceland Itinerary help

Our best trip to the interior was the Langjkull glacier tour. We had fantastic weather that day and I am sure that had something to do with it. There is quite a bit to see on this tour and it is a full dayer. It was very expensive but well worth the cost.