We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Katla Eruption....or not

Sevenoaks District...
Level Contributor
309 posts
Katla Eruption....or not

British digital media is currently soiling it´s underwear over the possibility of Katla erupting

visir.is/g/2018180929566/breskir-fjolmidlar-…

The (London based) Evening Standard´s report even features live updates! Haha!

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/katla-…

maybe she will...maybe she won´t

11 replies to this topic
Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,739 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Katla Eruption....or not

It sure doesn't look like it will happen today or tomorrow.

It's only at green level right now, or three monitor levels away from erupting.

…vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/…

-

Katla will erupt one day, but that day could be anywhere from tuesday next week to centuries from now.

…vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthqua…

Edited: 4:44 pm, September 23, 2018
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
5,997 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Katla Eruption....or not

The British media's panic was written about in the local news: visir.is/g/2018180929566/breskir-fjolmidlar-…

Nobody knows for certain when she will erupt. But the British newspapers seem to like the drama.

Sevenoaks District...
Level Contributor
309 posts
3. Re: Katla Eruption....or not

British newspapers...to use a common, and appropriate, expression...love to make a mountain out of a molehill :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Katla Eruption....or not

We leave in 3 weeks and i've been joking about getting stuck over there due to volcano and having to have more holiday for weeks now. Whoops

But also it's probably nothing.

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,739 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Katla Eruption....or not

@ becsterr: Or just get a nice video while arriving / departing....

https://youtu.be/1WBASwwuWC8

Level Contributor
221 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Katla Eruption....or not

I was in Hungary in 2010 when the Islandic volcano erupted!I had actually gone to scatter my dad's Ashes!!!Should have been there 3 days ended up having to stay for 8!!!It was a nightmare trying to get back to England eventually the only way was by coach!!Turned out a very expensive trip!!Extra hotel accomodation,food,cost of coach trip then train to get me back to my town plus 5 days lost earnings!I wouldn't like to experience this again!Was planning on going back to Bali this year but decided against because of their volcano.Coming to Iceland next March and will have extra resources just in case!!!It really was no fun trying to find ways to get home!!

Norway
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: Katla Eruption....or not

I wonder where they get it all from. Seems to be systematic (intentional or not) misinterpretation of scientific publications. Anything to sell I guess. By now it looks like we can count on a couple of these every year, until eventually, at some unknown point in the future, it actually happens, and then they can claim to have been right all along.......

But for now, it is just unfounded speculation based on misinterpretation:

icelandreview.com/news/2018/09/23/speculatio…

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
5,997 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Katla Eruption....or not

And this: https:/…

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
12,691 posts
88 reviews
9. Re: Katla Eruption....or not

I would recommend ignoring everything the British press writes with regard to Icelandic volcano eruptions unless the Icelandic media writes something similar.

Edited: 10:19 am, September 24, 2018
Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,739 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Katla Eruption....or not

I wish it was that easy. Media outlets all over the world pick up this nonsense and it starts echoing all over the place with various doomsday versions attached to it.

But I just realized that since Katla is at green, and all the other volcanoes are at green as well, that they are ALL on the same threat level. I better pack my stuff and find a sailboat.....

Edited: 12:25 pm, September 24, 2018
Reply to: Katla Eruption....or not
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted