We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long does it take to get out of Keflavik airport?

1 post
How long does it take to get out of Keflavik airport?

We are flying into Keflavik airport on 11/7/18 at 6:20 and want to take the Reykjavik Excursion bus from the airport to the blue lagoon that leaves at 8:30. How long will it take roughly to get out of the flight, through baggage, and customs? The next bus after that is 11:30 and dont want to spend a ton of time at the airport. Is 8:30 pushing it?

8 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
23,692 posts
748 reviews
1. Re: How long does it take to get out of Keflavik airport?

If your flight is on time you should make that no problem

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
13,059 posts
103 reviews
2. Re: How long does it take to get out of Keflavik airport?

I usually calculate with an hour if my flight is on time, so you could even have time for breakfast.

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
549 reviews
3. Re: How long does it take to get out of Keflavik airport?

no problem to make that bus trip, as the airport is run very well. Think i was out in 45 minutes a couple of years ago.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
14,179 posts
60 reviews
4. Re: How long does it take to get out of Keflavik airport?

Just to confirm what the others have said. Calculate one hour. It's likely that it will be a little less though.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: How long does it take to get out of Keflavik airport?

When we were there in June, I think it took around 45 minutes with a couple bathroom breaks for the kids. The majority was just walking from the gate to baggage claim.

If you're not declaring anything at customs, you pretty much just walk out after that. It's not a very big airport.

Be sure to factor in a stop at duty free if you want to pick up any alcohol to consume during your trip. It'll be more expensive once you leave the airport.

Singapore
Level Contributor
93 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: How long does it take to get out of Keflavik airport?

I have the same question. thanks for your replies specially to Traelee for the alcohol tip :) :)

Reykjavik
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
36 reviews
7. Re: How long does it take to get out of Keflavik airport?

KEF is also a very safe airport.

Generally people get to the baggage-hall ahead of their luggage and have to stand about waiting 5-10 minutes. To minimize time (or maximize efficiency) you can go directly to the duty-free store that is in the baggage reclaim area and do your shopping before going to the conveyor belt to claim your bags.

Edited: 4:04 am, July 18, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: How long does it take to get out of Keflavik airport?

We just returned. The airport arrival process was extremely efficient. We only do carry on bags, so if you don't need any duty free, then you will only have to deal with immigration and I was stunned at how quickly that went at about 10 am. Basically saying, you have control of how long that process will take.

Reply to: How long does it take to get out of Keflavik airport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted