We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ring Road-four days in May. Advice. Please. Thanks

nyc
Level Contributor
61 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Ring Road-four days in May. Advice. Please. Thanks

Day 0- Reykjavik(Blue Lagoon in morning. Fly over Lake Myavtn in the afternoon. Explore city at night.)

Day 1- Get rental car at 10AM and head to Pinvellir, Geysir, Gulfoss and Pjorsardalur. (Lunch stop) 2 PM Porsmork (Can we do the hiking by ourselves or do we need to book a guide.) We are sleepin in Hella

Day 2- Drive East- stop in Skofagoss, Vik-Reynisdrangur -arrive at Skaftafell National Park. (Do we hike here or hike at Jokulsarlon instead? Do we need to book a guide? Do snowmobiles need to be booked in advance? ) We sleep in Eglistaddir.

Day 3 get in car-stopping in Hallbjarnarstadakambur Crest on way to Jokulsargljufur National Park (Hiking?) We sleep in Husavik)

Day 4 Route 87, stop at Eldhraun, hike Vindbelgjarfjall(?) stop at Dimmuborgir drive to Bjarnflag, stop at Hverarond, Mount Krafla, Viti, drive to Reykjavik (stop at Hotel Budir for dinner, would it be worth it?)

My Questions:

1. Am I missing some major sites?

2. Would you replace any of these Parks, Hikes, with other sites?

3. Would you replace any of days with days in the west fjords or the interior?

4. Any Activities reccommended at any of the parks? Hikes? Snowmobiles? Boats?

5. Will we be able to stop somewhere for lunch or will we have to "save" fruit and bread from the breakfast buffet?

6. I am thinking of doing 10 to 12 hours a day before we crash at the hotels. Does this sound realistic.

7. Dinner reccommendations or Lunch reccommendations are apprecaited.

8. Am I forgetting something?

Thanks for your help! First time in Iceland and I have no idea when I will be coming back so...I have to pack it in...

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ring Road-four days in May. Advice. Please. Thanks

I have a distinct feeling that you are confusing everyting and the whole plan isn't realistic. You have to remember that you just have 4 days! Iceland looks small on the map but driving is different than in the U.S.: The roads are good but narrower, you find yourself stopping a lot., and you cannot do that much in 4 days.

Now to your plan: The Blue Lagoon is about 25 miles south of Reykjavik. It is an artificial pool, very very commercialized. I found the water of this lagoon very tiring. I think it has to do with the high concentration of the chemicals in the water. You just have 4 days, I wouldn't spend half a day or more on the Blue Lagoon.Iceland has so much more to offer.

What do you mean by "flying over Myvatn Lake"? Are you planning to return to Reykjavik on the same day? You either fly to Myvatn and rent a car to see the sights or not go there at all/ There is no point of flying over. There is no city in Myvatn.

Thingvellir, Geysir and Gulfoss are filling a whole day.

For a trip to Thorsmork you need either a 4X4 and know your way and how to drive inland (no roads almost no signs), or go by a superjeep guided tour (excellent and expensive). A trip to Thorsmork with minimal hiking will take about 12-14 hours.

Your plan for day 2 is completely unrealistic. I honestly don't understand where you want to start your day? If you really push youself to the limit, and if you start your dayin Reykjavik and almost don't stop on your way for any of the mafnificent sights, you will reach Hofn at the most.

Day 3. You go back and forth. I cannot understand how and why you arrive in Husavik.

Day 4. After sleeping in Husavik, how do you plan to reach Reykjavik?

I think that you have to look very carefully at the map again and be more realistic.

I would love to help you plan a reasonable trip, if you wish. Let me know.

nyc
Level Contributor
61 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ring Road-four days in May. Advice. Please. Thanks

aaaahhhh...thanks Erirya...I am crazy....thanks for bringing some sanity to the plans...here go the corrections (I do not count the day in Reyjavik as a day, so five days in total.) We have rented a 4X4. The Ring road is 830 miles. 4 days. about 250 miles a day at a leisurely 50 miles per hour. 5 hours of driving. Wake up at 8AM. Leave hotel at 10 AM-Check into hotel at 10PM. 7 hours of for stops and hiking.

Day 0- There is a tour company that flies over lake myavtn and the glaciers and it is just a way of seeing Iceland from the sky(1 hour tour.) I was thinking of skipping the blue lagoon, but some people say it is a must...mmm...would love to hear more opinions on this. Or forget those plans and squeeze in a tour of the Snafellsnes? (Our plane lands in the early morning. I just might be crazy enough to do it.) Sleep in Reykjavik.

Day 1 Pinvellir, Geysir, Gulfoss and Pjorsardalur. Porsmork. Drive past Skofagoss, Vik-Reynisdrangur. Make it ot sleep in Skaftafell Hotel by 10PM..

Day2 Go glacier hiking in Skaftafell National Park all morning-early afternoon. Leave at around 4PM, making as many stops as possible on the way to Eglissandir, arrivng by 10PM.

Day 3 Go to Jokulsargljufur National Park in the morning, early afternoon, Leave at 4PM. Sleep in Myavtn.

Day4 Horse back riding in and around Lake Myavtn. Leave for Reykjavik at around 4PM. Making stops on the way, Arriving at 10PM in Reykjavik.

Day 5 on to 4 killer museum and shoppping days in Paris.

More realistic? Still in lalala land...(I hear you...we always feel like we need a vacation after we come back from our vacations...but at the same time I can't bear the thought of skipping lake Myavtn or one of the parks.)

Thanks for your help.

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ring Road-four days in May. Advice. Please. Thanks

Hi again!

You cannot count miles or km like you do in the states. The driving takes longer than you would expect. The landscape almost "forces" you to stop and admire nature. Iceland is so completely different than any other place. You really move slower, and so you should to absorb it all/ Thorsmork is at least a full day's trip/ I can't even imagine connecting it with Thingvellir, Geysir and Gulfoss. You have to ask the Icelanders on this forum. I am pretty sure it not doable.

I don't think that flying over Myvatn is worth the expense. Iceland should be viewed on ground. Again, ask the Icelanders. I would not do it.

It is a very long drive to Egilsstadir! You would do much better staying near Hofn.

The Myvatn Area is beautiful! There is a lot to see there. You need at least one full day for the Myvatn area.

Skip Husavik You don't have the time!

Driving from Myvatn to Reykjavik is a long trip! Don't you want to enjoy the trip? It seems like you are running from one place to another and not seeing a thing.

My suggestion is to take it easy. and instead of trying to be everywhere and not seeing a thing, do less and enjoy beatiful Iceland.

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ring Road-four days in May. Advice. Please. Thanks

Hi again!

You cannot count miles or km like you do in the states. The driving takes longer than you would expect. The landscape almost "forces" you to stop and admire nature. Iceland is so completely different than any other place. You really move slower, and so you should to absorb it all/ Thorsmork is at least a full day's trip/ I can't even imagine connecting it with Thingvellir, Geysir and Gulfoss. You have to ask the Icelanders on this forum. I am pretty sure it not doable.

I don't think that flying over Myvatn is worth the expense. Iceland should be viewed on ground. Again, ask the Icelanders. I would not do it.

It is a very long drive to Egilsstadir! You would do much better staying near Hofn.

The Myvatn Area is beautiful! There is a lot to see there. You need at least one full day for the Myvatn area.

Skip Husavik You don't have the time!

Driving from Myvatn to Reykjavik is a long trip! Don't you want to enjoy the trip? It seems like you are running from one place to another and not seeing a thing.

My suggestion is to take it easy. and instead of trying to be everywhere and not seeing a thing, do less and enjoy beatiful Iceland.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,054 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ring Road-four days in May. Advice. Please. Thanks

Still Lala land.

I did Reykjavik to Hofn and back in 5 days, and could have spent more time there.

Chill....relax... walk around Jokulsjarlon for an hour and listen to the sound of icebergs turning over...

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
154 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ring Road-four days in May. Advice. Please. Thanks

Hi Marpaz,

I think your schedule is too ambitious. For example, in your "new" day 1, I don't know how you could do the Golden Circle and Thorsmork in the same day and drive to Skaftafell. Also, I'm not sure I would be driving to Thorsmork even with a 4X4 as there are unbridged river to cross, of course unless you have experience in these type of roads. You cannot calculate 50 miles per hour for the drive to Thorsmork once away from the ring road. With the bus it took us 1 hour once on the road to Thorsmork.

Also on Day 2, the drive to Egilstadir will take you more than 6 hours. We did it last September and it took us 8 hours with only minimal rest room break. Some part of the ring road is unpaved to get to Egilstadir and the road can be narrow in some place.

For the time you have, it might be better to concentrate on a region (The South probably) and really have time to enjoy. You could take the bus to Thorsmork which is a cheaper option than the super jeep.

nyc
Level Contributor
61 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ring Road-four days in May. Advice. Please. Thanks

Thanks to everyone who has responded...I guess there will be no time for Porsmork on this trip, but there seems to be time for everything else. I found a blog on http://www.travelswise.com/iceland.htm from someone who did Rejkjavik-Hofn (all stops plus glacier snowmobiling in one day) Hofn-Myavtn (Day2) Myavtn-Reykjavik (day-3) and had the time to film everything.

Did this person completely exceed the speed limit or does this mean I can squeeze the west fjords into my trip?

nyc
Level Contributor
61 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ring Road-four days in May. Advice. Please. Thanks

Correction...it seems it took this man 4 days.

Hofn 1

Myavtn 2

Akureyri 3

Reykjavik 4

I was thinking

Vik 1

Hofn 2

Myavtn3

Reykjavik4

Or should I follow this man's lead and do only 1 day in the South and head north faster? And do:

Hofn 1

Myavtn 2 and 3

Reykjavik 4

Thanks for all the advice...I really appreciate it.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,054 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ring Road-four days in May. Advice. Please. Thanks

Stopping at Vik and Hofn would be sensible, but I have no idea on the impact that has on the rest of your trip.

Sure you can drive to Hofn in a day, but it will be a blur.

I am assuming you want to stop and smell the air; not just see waterfalls from the car; see the puffins at Vik; climb the fell in Skaftafell and see the glaciers.....?

nyc
Level Contributor
61 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ring Road-four days in May. Advice. Please. Thanks

I think I have my final Schedule:

Day 1 glacier hiking and snow moviliing for a couple of hours and Glacier lake . (Sleep in Hofn)

Day 2.hiking in jokulsargulfur park-(Sleep in Myavtn-)

Day 3 Horse back riding in and around lake Myavtn(sleep in saudakrokur.)

Day 4 Sailing in the northeast or drive to snaefellnes, I haven't decided yet. perhaps someone can help. sleep in Reykjavik.

The people with the blog had time to see puffins, visit a city, have a picnic, get invited by a kind icelander for an impromptu trout lunch...we might not be so lucky, but who knows...will report back on my crazy 4 day ring road tour.

Thanks to everyone...it helped me get an idea of what we are in for.