We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - don't know where to start for a 3 day trip - August

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help - don't know where to start for a 3 day trip - August

I have booked flights to arrive Reykjavik 830am on 26th Aug next year for three nights leaving 9am Wednesday. So.... My questions are:

Should we self drive? Join a tour? Stay somewhere else for the Sunday and the Monday (if so where?) before returning to Reykjavik for the Tuesday afternoon so that we can fly back to Manchester on the Wednesday. We are coming for my 50th birthday and 20th wedding anniversary. Any suggestions gratefully received. Happy to drive anywhere and we are both fit and healthy!

8 replies to this topic
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
567 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - don't know where to start for a 3 day trip - August

That's a tough one. It depends what you want to do. good news is that coming from the UK you won't be as jetlagged as those of us from North America.

It depends on your priorities and price. I'd price out 3 nights in reykjavik + cost of a tour, and compare that to the cost of 1 night in reykjavik and 2 nights elsewhere plus a rental car.

Your options are very limited in terms of driving just because of limited time. You could try to organize a southcoast tour on your own. however, if it were me, i'd book 2 nights on Snaefellsnes and explore the peninsula.

Edited: 5:51 pm, November 16, 2017
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - don't know where to start for a 3 day trip - August

Thanks for your reply - I guess we want to see the outdoors, do a bit of walking, see waterfalls etc. - see a bit of what people rave about when they talk about Iceland!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
13,136 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - don't know where to start for a 3 day trip - August

Since you're celebrating... if you want to buy a tour, try a super jeep tour. It's a very Icelandic thing, total off-road destinations (on tracks). The vehicles have tires of 38''- ... a lot 54'' or even more. That's monstrous! Then make sure (if you wanna splurge on one of those) that they will take you to real offroad destinations, such as Thormork (Þórsmörk) or Landmannalaugar. Or, if you do the super jeep version of the Golden Circle, then it's a "must" that they drive on the glacier itself ... and maybe do a snowmobiling there as an add-on. So that's some ideas.

But summer is also a perfect timing for a self-drive.

Another summer-only thing to possible splurge on, because of the celebration, could be the descent into the (empty) magma chamber of volcano Þríhnúkagígur (Thrihnukagigur). This is a world unique.

http://insidethevolcano.is/

I've done it and I think it was absolutely fantastic! My own review of it: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-…

Edited: 7:02 pm, November 16, 2017
Canada
Level Contributor
9,807 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - don't know where to start for a 3 day trip - August

You start with a good guide book And then you type 3 day itinerary into the search box above your post. Lots of help there, Google Golden Circle and Iceland south coast and see if what you get, interests you.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
6,872 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help - don't know where to start for a 3 day trip - August

Basically by the time you get out of the airport and arrive at your hotel it will be 10.30 am and probably too late to take a day tour. You could explore the Harbour area, Lake Thornin and the old town. On your two other days take tours of the Golden Circle and South Iceland. The tours will arrive back in town early evening so you will have time to explore more of downtown and enjoy a meal.

Take the Flybus and pay a little extra to be taken directly to your accommodation and be picked up there too.

https://www.re.is/flybus/

The Viking Restaurant is a few kms from town but well worth going to for your celebrations---not too expensive, staff and band dressed up as Vikings and many decorations in the restaurant from the Viking era. I really enjoyed my last night in Iceland there and i found that it was not too expensive , considering the atmosphere there.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.ph/Restaurant_Re…

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
12,445 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help - don't know where to start for a 3 day trip - August

Either do a Golden Circle day tour and South Coast day tour (maybe with a glacier hike) like Palawandave suggested or look into doing a 2-day tour to Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon that will include the South Coast sights, the glacier lagoon and ice beach and a glacier hike.

You could also do both od these tours as a self-drive, but I think it might be more relaxing to have a driver at the wheel and someone to tell you about what you see and to answer any questions you may have.

If you want something more unusual, look into the "Inside the Volcano" or "Into the Glacier" tours, hike to Reykjadalur geothermal river for bathing or do a superjeep day tour to Þórsmörk or Landmannalaugar for a bit of adventure and a taste fo the Highlands.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help - don't know where to start for a 3 day trip - August

Thanks - the volcano sounds good! I will look into that. I suppose I just can’t decide whether to base ourselves in Reykjavik and drive/tour from there or head off and stay elsewhere. Anyone any particular tour companies to recommend?

Edited: 3:03 am, November 17, 2017
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help - don't know where to start for a 3 day trip - August

So, a two day tour with an overnight stop sounds good. Any recommendations for which company? Thanks

Reply to: Help - don't know where to start for a 3 day trip - August
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted