We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Minute

London, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Last Minute

I adore snow , something which we rarely get here in Manchester UK .

I am looking for a last minute 5 day break to Reykjavik and the best and most accurate weather service in Iceland . So far the weather forcasts are as varied as those in the UK and contradict each other . I know weather forcasting is difficult for anywhere near the coast but i dont want to spend money to sit in Reykjavik in the rain !

So best web page for Reykjavik weather forcasts ? I have the luxury of last minute travel if i can get a seat on Easy Jet

13 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last Minute

I go snow climbing in mountains , so cold doesn't bother me and i have all the right gear but booking and arriving to rain would be very annoying . Hehe

Minnesota
Level Contributor
121 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last Minute

http://en.vedur.is/

Toronto
Level Contributor
387 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last Minute

There are *no* guarantees regarding weather in Iceland. On the other hand, microclimates are definitely a thing--if you don't like the weather where you are, wait twenty minutes or drive twenty kilometers and you'll probably get something different.

The Icelandic Met Office does forecasts out at least five days, and are probably your best bet, though they certainly won't be perfect.

http://en.vedur.is/

London, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last Minute

I have that one , thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last Minute

Laughs , just like the UK where the forecast changes every few hours . You get a 5 day forcast that alters every hour , which is pretty useless really . Yes i love snow . Not seen snow here for 7 years . Wants blizzards once i have got to my hotel /hostel !

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last Minute

If arriving to rain is a problem I would honestly not pick Reykjavik for a holiday. This is a very rainy and windy place.

London, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last Minute

its only because i live in England , land of rain . I would prefer snow

Canada
Level Contributor
9,764 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last Minute

You are asking for the impossible and I think that you know it. Want snow? Go to someplace in the world where there is already snow (Rockies/Switzerland) and the likelihood of it all melting is nil,

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
13,096 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last Minute

Take a super jeep tour to Landmannalaugar. I would think that snow is a guarantee there, in winter.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,894 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Last Minute

Got to agree with mathlady - if you want guaranteed snow in Europe, head to the high Alps (or northern Scandinavia). The highlands of Iceland can guarantee it too, but that's a whole different ball game.

Closer to home, it's forecast -5C and snow on Cairngorm in Scotland this weekend - I was going to go there to so some walking, but it's also forecast to have 40-50mph winds, so I cancelled. It would give you a fair idea of typical weather in the Icelandic highlands though...

Reply to: Last Minute
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted