We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Lagoon on the way back to KEF airport

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Lagoon on the way back to KEF airport

Hi,

We are going to Iceland in January and have a 3:30pm return flight at KEF airport. We would have to be at the bus stop near the hotel for 7:30am pickup and would arrive at the lagoon by 9am. We would have until 11:30 to spend there before having to get changed quickly and take the 12pm bus to the airport….2.5hr there would be OK I think, depending on queue wait times.

I am sitting on the fence regarding booking the Lagoon. I know that many people rave about it, but on the flip side some say it is an over-rated tourist trap. I fear feeling rushed at what is supposed to be a relaxing place and paying more than $350 for my husband and I to go. And since it will not be getting light until around 10:30am, much of the time will be in the dark. On top of it, I have a feeling the cranes/construction will detract a little bit from the experience.

Sorry for the long post - any thoughts? Especially regarding the time? Thanks! :)

9 replies to this topic
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
12,394 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Lagoon on the way back to KEF airport

Most people stay 2-3 hours, so I think you would be ok. If you like a geothermal bathing experience outdoors in milky blue water, go for it. I actually think it is more magical and surreal in darkness.

If you don't necessarily need the blue color, go to one of the Reykjavík city pools during your visit.

Edited: 3:24 pm, November 15, 2017
Huntington, WV
Level Contributor
159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Lagoon on the way back to KEF airport

I'm curious why the cost would be $350? Is the transportation there and back so much? The last time I checked a basic admission was around $60 US. So at that price times 2, what is the other $230 for?

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Lagoon on the way back to KEF airport

This might be a silly question, but does the water still look milky blue in the dark?

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Lagoon on the way back to KEF airport

It costs 10000 ISK per person plus 4500 per person for the transportation. In Canadian funds, that makes it approx. $125per person for entrance and $55 per person for the transfer that we will need from our hotel to the Lagoon and drop off at the airport. For my husband and I will be approx. $360.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
12,394 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Lagoon on the way back to KEF airport

Where the lights shine on it yes. I was there with snow flurries around me and with the steam rising from the water it felt as if I was all alone in there. Really surreal..

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Lagoon on the way back to KEF airport

I say go for it, it's a really neat experience. We took our time & relaxed & were there right around 2hrs. It's very well organized so you shouldn't spend unnecessary time wandering around.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
522 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue Lagoon on the way back to KEF airport

We went in the early evening and stayed for a few hours (I think 2.5 total would be enough). As you said, it's quite pricey when you factor in the cost of transportation. I was a bit underwhelmed given the effort and cost but I'm still happy we went. I guess if you're already there, you might as well go.

posted about our experience in a trip report (section about it at the end) completel with pictures:

…blogspot.com/2017/03/iceland-reykjavik-and-…

And yes, you can still somewhat see the water even when it's dark out.

Landenberg...
Level Contributor
36 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue Lagoon on the way back to KEF airport

Hi. Just returned from our trip to Iceland. We opted to visit the lagoon on arrival. The fly bus picked us up at 0700 and we were in water by 0800. I loved that it was still dark out. The lagoon looked magical with the steam coming off the water and the other guests almost hidden in the darkness and the mist. We stayed until the sun came up but truthfully I enjoyed the darkness it just seemed so peaceful. I would not miss this opportunity. It’s a beautiful place and IMO worth the price. Enjoy.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
210 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blue Lagoon on the way back to KEF airport

If Myvatn is on your itinerary, then go their nature baths instead.

Reply to: Blue Lagoon on the way back to KEF airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted