We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Restaurant for Exotic meats

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Topic
Best Restaurant for Exotic meats

Hey everyone,

So i've done a few searches, but I would love to hear it from other traveller's experiences as well as locals where to go for "Icelandic meats". I know it's not going to be cheap, but I am looking for the best value for price. I will be staying in Reykjavik (near Laugavegur + Klapparstigur),so something within walking distance or a short cab/bus would be essential.

Mainly, I am looking for 2 restaurants and/or bar to try the following:

1) Mink whale- both cooked and sashimi

2) Lambs head

3) Puffin

Am I missing anything else? There are a few places Ive found, such as the 3 Frakkar, Hereford, Gamla Vinhusid... anyone had personal experiences with any of these?

Thank you in advance! Looking forward to everyone's suggestions.

12 replies to this topic
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
5,918 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Restaurant for Exotic meats

I would add Grillmarkaðurinn, the restaurant at BSÍ (for sheep's head), and maybe Steikhúsið.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Restaurant for Exotic meats

For Svið (sheep heads) go here: https://www.myrinmathus.is/

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Restaurant for Exotic meats

Where can you eat puffin and whale meat? How is the rotten shark meat? I heard that is pretty unique in Iceland

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
12,432 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Restaurant for Exotic meats

There are taster portions of Icelandic meats at Íslenski Barinn and it's not that expensive.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Restaurant for Exotic meats

We can second the two recommendations mentioned above. Namely, Myrin Mathus (BSI bus station) for sheep's head and Íslenski Barinn for puffin and whale... The dishes at both places were really very tasty!

Have a look at our reviews of both places in our vlogs belw:

Myrin Mathus

https://youtu.be/KYXQxghFhsI?t=3m9s

slenski Barinn

https://youtu.be/2lskhvm2wac?t=15m59s

Enjoy!

London, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Restaurant for Exotic meats

Sorry, maybe I'm just nuts but I think it is really awful wanting to have a Mink Whale hunted and killed so you can enjoy what it tastes like. Just my humble opinion.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
12,432 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Restaurant for Exotic meats

Isn't that true for any type of meat, though?

London, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Restaurant for Exotic meats

Hey kim,

I'm veggie so I agree with you there in part ;) But on the whole I'd have to say no, the killing of any innocent animal is never a nice thing but with whales they can be killed by firing a grenade harpoon at its head and then waiting for it to die (as mostly there's little other ways to catch them). This leads to a very slow and cruel death and is just a little bit worse for me. Just my thoughts :)

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
12,432 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Restaurant for Exotic meats

This year they killed far fewer whales than in the years before, so I am hoping it'll get to the point where it's only whale watching and no whale hunting anymore. Icelanders don't really eat that much whale any longer. It's mostly a tourist thing...

London, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Restaurant for Exotic meats

That's good to hear Kim. Yes I read that it is mainly a touristic thing now and the locals for the vast majority don't eat it. There a good site about whale friendly restaurants in Iceland and more info if people are interested.

…whales.org/campaigns/visiting-iceland-help-…

Reply to: Best Restaurant for Exotic meats
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted