We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of eating in Iceland.

Yorkshire
1 post
Save Topic
Cost of eating in Iceland.

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help. My Husband and i will be goign to Iceland in July / August of this year. We will be travelling around, have hired a car and got flights. We just need to plan our budget for food and we have no idea how much this could be. Does anyone have any suggestions or idea of costs for 2 people?

hope someone can help.

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,360 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of eating in Iceland.

I live in London, and found that most meals were roughly double the cost here. Some weren't, in which case I would splash out and have a drink! There are several posts on here about the cost of food.

However, like anywhere, it depends where you eat. But if you are out of Reykjavik, most places are small towns or villages and you won't have much choice.

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of eating in Iceland.

Hi

I have just returned from a week in Iceland and food is expensive. I would say approx about 50% more than say London prices.

Bottle of Beer - 5- 6 pounds

Main Course - 15 - 25 pounds in a reasonable restaurant ,

Cheaper fast food is available such as Subway , KFC and Hot Dogs

Make sure you get breakfast included on all hotel rates as this saved us a considerable amount.

Trust this helps

John

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,606 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of eating in Iceland.

It's pricey.

Grocery stores are plentiful, and often will sell prepared sandwiches, soups and salads, as well as coffee - the latter usually cheaper than in cafes. A number of grocery stores have microwaves, so you can buy something in the shop then zap it to eat on the run.

Icelandic dairy products are delicious, so do try a pot of skyr as a snack - it's dangerously scrummy.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,599 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of eating in Iceland.

On a budget ?, 10 pounds plentyful for two persons daily, in a grocery shop.

Restaurants, 10 - 25 for a single meal, + drinks, water is always free.

B.

California
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of eating in Iceland.

my husband and i travelled around iceland for a week in september 2006. we heard that food was expensive there but were still quite shocked at our restaurant bills. in preparation, we brought some of our favorite snacks with us to munch on while we were in the car. as someone recommended earlier, definitely book a hotel or bed & breakfast that includes breakfast. most days we filled up on breakfast and did not have to eat till dinner time. for the two of us, who are not big eaters, we spent about US$70 for dinners that usually consisted of pizza for me (as I am vegetarian and did not have many options) and a seafood dish for him plus a fanta or beer.

be sure to try the skyr-- i got hooked!

Johnstone, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of eating in Iceland.

spent a long weekend there and didnt really go overboard on food and drink and we still spent around £80 per day for the two of us, on one of those days we bought lunch from one of the supermarkets as we were on an excursion, cheeper option but still expensive for a sandwich.

7. Re: Cost of eating in Iceland.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, August 28, 2009