We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels

Newcastle
Level Contributor
334 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels

Are there any hotels around or near the golden circle. As some of the activities I want to do are up there wondering if it will save money to stay there rather than travel back and forth to Reykjavik? Do northern lights tours depart from this area? How much does it cost to get there from Reykjavik?

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
9 replies to this topic
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,809 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels

Yes, plenty. No. That would be a really expensive taxi, or a very time-consuming not-so-regular bus service.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,756 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels

When are you traveling? If you plan to stay outside of Reykjavík you will in most cases have to have a rental car to get around without any major hassle and usually there will not be tour pick-ups unless you are en route and sort it out with the tour company first.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels

I dont want to rent a car as we would be travelling over new year. Was just wondering f if this was an option!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,809 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels

Tell me something about the activities you're interested in. The thing is that sometimes they provide transport, for an extra price. Or maybe there're combo tours that would suit you.

It is a good idea to stay overnight outside of the capital. The more you tell us, the more we can figure out what could be convenient for you guys (how many people are you?).

Newcastle
Level Contributor
334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels

Thanks

Am surprising husband with a trip. Have posted before and following advice and now edging towards a

1. A 2 day south coast tour leaving on 1st Jan (we arrive on 31st) ideally getting a chance to see northern lights and ice cave and maybe walk on glacier. Looking at artic adventures at minute but if anyone else could recommend other tours to compare prices that would be great.

2. 3rd Jan a tour to golden circle in monster truck with snowmobiling. I was the thinking if we hadn't seen the northern lights in the 3 day trip whether there was a tour we could tag onto from here to go and see northern lights without returning to Reykjavik.

3. Last day have a walk around Reykjavik and then go to blue lagoon on way back to airport.

Will take ascixe on the best tours. Been trying to sort for last month but because of travel dates it is proving awkward. Initially I wanted to do the golden circle with snorkling and then tag on a snowmobile ride and maybe northern lights but for. Think this is possible. Hence the new itinerary. Any input would be appreciated as I need to get booked up With hotels too.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,756 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels

I would contact the company you choose for the Golden Circle snowmobiling combo and ask them if they can combine that with a Northern Lights tour that night. Since many companies offer NL tours it may well be possible, but you will have to return to Reykjavík to transfer to the NL tour. If you book several tours with the same operator ask them for a multi-tour discount.

If you don't have your heart set on snowmobiling, this might be a good Golden Circle tour with a NL chance and a transfer:

https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Golden Circle Day Tours
Golden Circle Day Tours
561 Reviews
Mosfellsbaer, Iceland
Newcastle
Level Contributor
334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels

Thanks Kim

That looks really good but hubby has always wanted to do snowmobiling so feel I really need to fit that in. I was looking at booking the tours through artic adventure as they do both the tours mentioned above but was thinking if I didn't get to see the NL on the two day trip about giving it one last go on our last night! Was hoping we wouldn't need it though!

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,756 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels

It's a gamble, but at least on the 2 day tour if there are clear skies or at least gaps in the clouds you can stay outside and wait as long as you like and don't have to rely on a tour schedule. Good luck!

Newcastle
Level Contributor
334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels

THanks x

Reply to: Hotels
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted