We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some suggestion for our itinerary!

Heidelberg, Germany
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Need some suggestion for our itinerary!

Soo, we're planning to do ring road in 7 days (8 nights) in the beginning of October 2017. Here's what I have so far:

Day 1: drive to Vik, stay the night

Day 2: drive to Höfn, stay the night

Not sure about day 3,4,5

On day 6, we'll stay drive from the north (either Akureyri or Hvammstangi) at Snaesfells peninsula, and on day 7, making our way back to Reyjavik.

So my optionsfor those 3 days is:

Option 1

Day 3: drive from Höfn all the way to Husavik(a bit concerned by the long drive), stay the night in Husavik

Day 4: drive from Husavik to Akureyri (do a bit of Myvatn on the way, stay the night at Akureyri

Day 5: Stay another night in Akureyri, do other parts of Myvatn not covered in Day 4

Option 2:

Day 3: drive from Höfn to Egilsstadir (didn't find that much attraction here, not sure whether the day will be wasted), stay the night at Egilsstadir

Day 4: drive from Egilsstadir to Husavik, do whale watching, then drive back to Myvatn, stay the night there

Day 5: Do more stuff around Myvatn and then drive to Akureyri/Hvammstangi (also concerned about the long drive from Akureyri to Snaesfells on day 6, thought Hvammstangi would be less of a big drive)

We just want some input on which area is worth spending more time at (Egilsstadir, Husavik, Myvatn, Akureyri, Hvammstangi). I also heard the weather up north is usually sunnier (also more chance to see the northern lights), hence option 1 sounds better to me, since it means spending more time up north.

Any input will be appreciated :) :)

8 replies to this topic
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
5,898 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need some suggestion for our itinerary!

Have you read the winter driving post to see what kind of weather and road conditions you could have?

Heidelberg, Germany
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some suggestion for our itinerary!

Yes I have! Why? Does it affect these 2 options?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
5,898 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need some suggestion for our itinerary!

Of course it does. You are planning a fast ring road trip in winter. You have to know what to expect and that you need to stay flexible.

Heidelberg, Germany
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need some suggestion for our itinerary!

Yes it's true. So what do u suggest we should do?

Boston...
Level Contributor
21,673 posts
686 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need some suggestion for our itinerary!

In winter I'd suggest you limit yourself to half the country so you're not driving in the dark. You have time to see the Reykjanes Peninsula plus the south coast to Djúpivogur or so, and see those sites well.

A week is a FAST summer tour. In winter you'd have no time to actually explore -- you'd have to quickly move on to your next stop every time you saw something interesting.

gurgaon
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need some suggestion for our itinerary!

Are u visiting iceland or touching Iceland..I am doing half of this in as many days as you have mentioned in October ..only till jokulsarlon and snaefellsness

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
12,363 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need some suggestion for our itinerary!

I would suggest either booking guided tours or limiting yourselves to 2-3 areas and keeping your itinerary as flexible as possible, since the weather and road conditions on the day will determine what is possible.

7 days would be a fast ring road trip in summer, in winter it would mean gambling on good weather and road conditions for it to be possible and in bad weather it could be rushed and not enjoyable.

Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need some suggestion for our itinerary!

Hi globetrottie. We're planning to have about 10 days in October 2018. I have just started researching. We generally hire a car and self-drive but the posts about driving conditions in October are a bit off-putting! Did you go in October? What did you end up doing for your trip?

Reply to: Need some suggestion for our itinerary!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted