We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to dress for dinners out, advice needed

New Jersey
Level Contributor
70 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
How to dress for dinners out, advice needed

As I prepare for our upcoming trip, I'm wondering what is considered appropriate dinner attire. For our four day trip I really do not have to have to pack dress clothes, on top of the all the winter gear. Are jeans/nice sweaters and dress shoes acceptable for dinners?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
5,918 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to dress for dinners out, advice needed

Yes that sounds fine. Reykjavik is a very casual city compared to other European capitals. :) .

NYC
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to dress for dinners out, advice needed

Yes, perhaps minus the dress shoes if they're too dressy. Everyone is keenly aware of the challenges the weather poses and Icelanders seem to value practicality more than overly fussy fashion. Neat, clean and pulled together will get the job done. This is the case even in what one might call the fanciest restaurants (which are not many and are not really all that fancy) in terms of getting all dressed up. Don't shy away from dark nice jeans as nightwear--that is fine.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
70 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to dress for dinners out, advice needed

Thank you very much! This helps a lot!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
70 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to dress for dinners out, advice needed

Thanks!

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
6,854 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to dress for dinners out, advice needed

I always wore jeans and an outdoor jacket and was accepted everywhere

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
12,432 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to dress for dinners out, advice needed

You can also go to dinner in your hiking boots and hiking outfit if you don't mind being recognized as a tourist right away. Iceland is very casual that way.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to dress for dinners out, advice needed

I wouldn't bother packing dress shoes. It was cold and wet for us most days this month (we were there 2 weeks). We pretty much wore hiking boots and the same outdoor type jackets we wore during the day to dinner. We went to nice places and I didn't detect any negativity toward us. Other tourists looked the same. It's not the same as going to a nice restaurant in Paris. It was very casual/relaxed in my opinion.

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to dress for dinners out, advice needed

Definitely don't waste precious suitcase space on "special" clothes for dinner out!!

9. Re: How to dress for dinners out, advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, yesterday