We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours

Newcastle
Level Contributor
334 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tours

I have had some advice from kind experts and have gone away and done undercover research as to what my husband would prefer to do ( surprise trip to Iceland for his 40th).

We arrive on 31st December so thinking of

1st explore Reykjavik and then do a snowmobiling tour to see northern lights ( does anyone know of any decent ones?)

2nd golden circle with snorkling (again best provider) ideally with an option to go hunting for northern lights if not seen previous night.

3rd thinking of something like ice cave and is it called lava tubing or any other suggestions maybe option to add on northern lights if not seen previous days.

4th blue lagoon and flight back.

Any advice on plans or best tour providers would be appreciated. I have decided not to do the south coast tour as I wanted the three day tour which included quite a lot of these things but it doesn't depart on a suitable day to fit it in. If anyone has any other suggestions please feel free to let me know

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
4 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
9,143 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours

January 1st may not be the best day to explore Reyk as most things will be closed, including many restaurants, Consider doing your GC tour this day instead.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
11,733 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours

Make sure to make your dinner reservation and book any tours for NYE now. Not many places will be open on NYE and NYD and the ones that are are usually fully booked months ahead of time.

The snowmobile operators I am aware of are snowmobile.is, Arcanum and Mountaineers of Iceland, but I haven't heard of any night tours for NL hunting. I did a night snowmobile tour in Greenland and although it was fun, I was glad that I had some daytime experience driving a snowmobile.

The only ice cave easily accessible on a day tour from Reykjavík would be the man-made ice tunnel at Langjökull "Into the Glacier".

Take a look at the Extreme Iceland or Arctic Adventures tour catalog to start your research. I have been happy with their tours and they have a large selection. If you find a tour you like you can then search for other oprators offering it and compare prices and reviews.

They do have a 3 day Jökulsárlón tour staring on Jan 1st which would be perfect for you, since it includes much of what you want to see: https:/…jokulsarlon-three-days

Mentioned in this post
Mountaineers of Iceland
Mountaineers of Iceland
766 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Into The Glacier
Into The Glacier
843 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Extreme Iceland
Extreme Iceland
1,597 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Arctic Adventures
Arctic Adventures
1,979 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Boston...
Level Contributor
20,628 posts
652 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours

For Northern Lights tours you want to be nimble -- able to go from Point A to Point Z in a hurry if the lights are sighted there. For that reason, boat and snowmobile tours are limited in their success since they are severely restricted as to where they can go

Newcastle
Level Contributor
334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours

Thanks I contacted them about the three day tour but they said they weren't running it. That was originally one I was quite interested in!

Reply to: Tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted