We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reykjavik airport to city bus tickets

Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Reykjavik airport to city bus tickets

Hi guys

We plan to visit Iceland for 5 days mid October. We have an early morning flight from UK landing in Iceland at around 8:30 A.M. I see we can book the Bus shuttle from Airport to City main bus stand in advance and online.

1) In case the flight is late, are the tickets reusable in a subsequent bus or they are invalid?

2) Is it necessary to buy them in advance or we can buy with Euro/Iceland Kr at the airport bus terminus itself? Not sure if it costs cheaper if we buy online and in advance compared to buying on the day.

Kindly suggest

11 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
21,666 posts
686 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reykjavik airport to city bus tickets

The airport is in Keflavik, not Reykjavik. The Reykjavik airport is almost entirely for domestic flights.

You can use your ticket for any bus for that company. There are two major providers. You can also buy on the plane or at the airport

Neath Port Talbot...
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Reykjavik airport to city bus tickets

Currently in iceland. We withdrew icelandic krona at the airport whilst waiting at the luggage carousel. We then bought the tickets at the desk (to the right of the exit ). We bought with flybus. There's a grayline desk there too. Cost us 2500kr each to go to the main bus station. We walked from there into central reykjavik, roughly 20mins

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
6,731 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reykjavik airport to city bus tickets

You will arrive at Keflavik airport, 45 minutes by bus to Reykjavik. I bought my bus ticket online and you can catch any bus, but i still had to go to the counter to exchange my receipt for a ticket so best buy then at the airport---it will be no problem

Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reykjavik airport to city bus tickets

Thanks a lot guys. actually when I tried to book online in Flybus site I see they offer a "Flexible" time option. And says "Early, late or delayed flights – we'll be waiting for you."

Also if I book return t the same time it seems, it is slightly cheaper. So for 2 of us for return it costs 9000 ISK instead of 2500 X 2 X 2 = 10000 ISK.

I will book online as I may get the best xe.com exchange rate and also means carrying less cash.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
13,072 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reykjavik airport to city bus tickets

For a little extra you get hotel drop off. I think it's worth it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
21,666 posts
686 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reykjavik airport to city bus tickets

I agree with y-R

Also, you won't need any cash in Iceland. Other than the Reykjavik city buses, everyone takes plastic.

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
758 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reykjavik airport to city bus tickets

You really should consider getting the hotel drop off.

Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reykjavik airport to city bus tickets

Thanks. Sorry hotel drop off is a different service to flybus?

our hotel is near the BSI bus stand in the center so easy to find hopefully....

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
13,072 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reykjavik airport to city bus tickets

It's still the same service for hotel drop off. They just use smaller buses, minibuses.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
12,341 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reykjavik airport to city bus tickets

The drop-off or pick-up option is called FlybusPlus or Airport Express door-to-door and if you are not close to the main bus terminal it is good value for money. You go to the main bus terminal on a big bus first and then change to a minibus that drops you off at or close to your accommodation (the immediate city center has access restrictions for commercial vehicles).

Edited: 2:56 am, September 21, 2017
Reply to: Reykjavik airport to city bus tickets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted