We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours and More!

Boston
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tours and More!

Hi all,

My partner and I will be in Reykjavik from March 24th - March 28th...thank you Icelandair! We've signed up to go on a couple of tours...the South Shore Adventure and the Gullfoss-Geysir Direct.

Has anyone ever been on either of these tours? The one question that I've had relates to food. The South Shore Adventure is roughly 10 hours long...are there any stops made along the way for food, or will we need to bring our own food for lunch/dinner?

We've planned it so that we have a couple of full days to spend in Reykavik alone rather than on tours. Does anyone have any recommendations for things to do/places to see?

We're so excited about the trip. This will be my first time venturing outside the U.S., and I think we've picked the perfect place for me to do so.

Any advice anyone might have would be greatly appreciated!

Take care all!!!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
600 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours and More!

Hi mdg1981,

stops will be made along the way for food yes.

Places to see and things to do while in Reykjavik:

*Hallgrímskirkja church*:

The tallest structure in Reykjavík, take the elevator up for a bird's eye wiew of the city and surroundings.

*Perlan* (The Pearl):

A glass dome resting on top of 6 water tanks. It has a revolving restaurant, a cafeteria and a great wiewdeck (www.perlan.is). If you're into history there's a saga museum in one of the tanks on the ground floor. http://www.sagamuseum.is/enska/english.html

*Reykjavík Lake*:

Bring a loaf of bread and feed the birds. Rich birdlife in the city centre. While there take a walk through Reykjavík city hall and have a look at the big 3-D map of Iceland.

*The national museum of Iceland*:

"Making of a nation" is a permanent exhibition where you travel through time in Icelandic history, beginning with the first viking settlers in the 800s and through to modern times. Interactive and fun. Free admission on wednesdays. www.natmus.is/english

*Bæjarins bestu*:

Hot dog stand in Tryggvagata. Have one. Bill Clinton had one with a mustard. "Ein med ollu" is my personal favourite. A local delicassy.

*Kolaportið*:

Market in Tryggvata. Only open on Saturdays and Sundays (11-17) New and second hand. Observe the people, you get all sorts. Great place for people watching.

*Swimming Pools*

Pick one: http://www.spacity.is/ . Laugardalslaug is my personal favourite. Outdoor swimming pools to Icelanders are what pubs are to the British or café's to the French.

Look for more ideas on www.visitreykjavik.is . Tons of info.

Boston
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours and More!

Taratara,

Thanks so much for your helpful insight. I think we'll have some down time in Reykjavik, so I'm really excited to check out all of the places you suggested.

Looking forward to our trip, and thanks again for your help!

Mike

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
754 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours and More!

I have been on both of those tours. I can tell you a bit about them.

If you booked the "South Shore Adventure" with IcelandExcursions, you are in for an adventure, thats for sure. You are picked up in a huge 4x4 bus which seats about 25. The bus drives to Thorsmork where it leaves the road and drives to the glacier. Its a bumpy ride but one hell of an experience. The only stop on the way to Thorsmork is at a gas station where you can buy food and drink (obviously including the Icelandic national dish; American hotdogs).

The Gulfoss-Geysir tour takes you to the fantastic Gulfoss (Golden Falls) waterfall and Geysir where the hot springs are.

Reykjavik is one of the nicest cities in the whole world, you will love Iceland!

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours and More!

Our family took the Gullfoss-Geysir Direct tour too a few years ago and we found it to be excellent. Because it was not high season (April), we traveled in a mini-bus, which was comfortable and felt much more intimate than a big bus. Our guide was so well-educated and knowledgeable and in a very low-key and quiet way really educated us all along the way. On the way back to Reykjavik at the end of the tour, he even pointed out the farm where Iceland's most famous write Halldor Laxness had lived. By the way, in preparation for your trip, you really should read a novel or two of Laxness's. I particularly recommend Independent People. Having read this book so enriched my and my husband's experience in Iceland.

5. Re: Tours and More!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, August 18, 2009