We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iceland Tour Operators

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
DC
6 posts
Save Topic
Iceland Tour Operators

Hi! I am planning a trip for the end of May, and am trying to find out some information on different tour companies in Reykjavik. In particular, has anyone used Iceland Travel? they have two self-guided day tour that I am interested in doing. In addition, I am looking for whale watching tours and super jeep tours for the same time. It appears that May is an in between month and I am having problems finding anything that is running during this time. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

Liz

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,126 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iceland Tour Operators

Hello. May is a bit of a hitch in the tourist season, with v little in terms of whale watching.

Seatours (www.saeferdir.is) do trips from Stykkisholmur, but not until June. A company called Elding offer tours from April through September, but only have dates in April and June posted - ! The good news is that there is a company called Hvalstodin, who offer trips in May, at 0900 and 1300. Their website is www.whalewatching.is. For information on other companies offering whale watching, go to www.randburg.com, then click on Iceland and tourism. There are lots of links there to companies that do SuperJeep tours, as well.

I have used IcelandTravel a couple of times, and found them very professional and easy-going to deal with; their guides are very well informed, and keen to help make your trip a good one. There is a small travel agency in Akureyri, Nonni Travel, who offer lots of packages and tours, too; they've been exceptionally helpful to me. I used them to book a trip to Grimsey and an upcoming trip to Greenland - they're very quick to answer emails and offer help.

May will be a great time to visit Iceland - the days will be getting quite long, and the weather should be fantastic. Have a wonderful trip.

DC
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Iceland Tour Operators

Thanks for your response! One I'm definitely going to use your recommendation for the whale watching! Also, one last question. Have you ever heard of the tour operator www.eskimos.is. They have a Supertruck tour to Thorsmork that looks really good!

Thank you!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,126 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iceland Tour Operators

I had not heard of eskimos.is, but had a look at their site, and wow! They offer plenty of really fun stuff, and the prices are pretty much the standard for Iceland.

I haven't been able to get to Thorsmork, because of impassable roads every time I get near the place. Have been to Seljalandsfoss, and it's really pretty - from the falls, you can see for miles across the flat-ish coastal plains. The trip looks like a good one, well worth the time and money.

Have a wonderful trip - take lots of film, or a big chip for your digital camera, as the pictures will be swell.

milton keynes
Level Contributor
219 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iceland Tour Operators

We went with Eskimos last weekend and I'd thoroughly recommend them (especially compared with the tour reps with Reykjavik Excursions - why do people become tour reps if they don't like people?)

We had a supertruck to ourselves and combined the golden circle tour with dogsledding on the glacier. The whole day was out of this world - scenery, geology, history - just stunning. The dogsledding (with a friendly Danish team) was the highlight of the holiday.