We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

summer travel

New Jersey
4 posts
Save Topic
summer travel

We've decided on a whim to vacation in Iceland for about a week this summer. I would appreciate thoughts on whether we should stay in Reykjavik the whole time and take day trips, or move around. We love wild beauty national parks but the city sounds like fun too.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
754 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: summer travel

If your just going for a week, it would be best to stay in Reykjavik and take tours as there are plenty of sites reachable from the city; e.g. Thingvellir, Gulfoss, Geysir, Blue Lagoon and the South Shores. Tours operate every day with two companies; Iceland Excursions (the better one in my opinion) and Reykjavik Excursions. You can also take private tours if you feel like it. There is plenty of things to do in Reykjavik, the Hallgrims Church and its tall steeple (great views from the top), Laugavegur shopping street, the harbour, whale watching (in the summer) and of course the legendary midnight sun.

If you like national parks, Thingvellir is easily accesable. If you hire a car, you will be able to drive there and enjoy the sights.

It would be easy to fill a week with activities in Reykjavik and on tours from the city.

New Jersey
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: summer travel

Thank you, Raydar, any other thoughts you have about my planned trip (lodging, food) are welcome.

3. Re: summer travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, August 27, 2009