We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One month in Reykjavik with 3 kids

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
58 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
One month in Reykjavik with 3 kids

We are planning to travel to Iceland for the month of July this year. We have three kids (13, 8, and 5) who travel frequently with us for longer periods, and I'm wondering if anyone can give us some specifics about daily things for the kids to do in the city center/downtown area. We generally look for parks, playgrounds, swimming, beaches, etc. Fun, daily (primarily outdoor) activities that we can walk to, where they can explore and be kids. I would also appreciate advice on places to take them by bus in other parts of the city for fun (amusement parks, zoos, etc.). Any great shopping or restaurants we shouldn't miss? We are excited to get to know Reykjavik this year - Thank you!

La Grange, Texas
Level Contributor
741 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One month in Reykjavik with 3 kids

Wow, I'm jealous. A month? Reykjavik is a wonderful city, and easily walkable. I suspect in the summer it is easily bike-able as well. I'll be interested in what the locals have to say.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
12,323 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One month in Reykjavik with 3 kids

The first things that come to my mind are the city pools (Laugardalslaug being the biggest) and the small zoo in the same area.

One time activities could be the Whales of Iceland exhibition and Saga Museum, a horse riding tour and possibly the Reykjavik Escape Game for your older kid and yourselves.

Also, this might be fun to start off your visit: thetincanfactory.eu/meet-the-natives.html

And there is a free walking tour: https:/… (consider tipping though if you like it)

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
5,886 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One month in Reykjavik with 3 kids

I would start with this blog post from I Heart Reykjavik. I agree 100% with it. iheartreykjavik.net/2017/…

When my kids were young we spent a lot of time at the pools as a family and we spent a lot of time outside. Esja is a good hike outside of Reykjavik. For tourists there is the zoo, museums (your kids can dress up like Vikings at the Saga Museum), whale watching. How much time will you have with a car? There are so many day trips you could do. Will you be staying anywhere outside of Reykjavik?

Canada
Level Contributor
9,691 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One month in Reykjavik with 3 kids

Are you planning on renting a car? It seems a pity to go all the way to Iceland and not expose your children to the waterfalls, lava fields, black beaches, geysirs etc,

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
58 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One month in Reykjavik with 3 kids

We will most definitely rent a car for trips around the island. I am an environmental scientist, so I wouldn't dream of visiting Iceland with my kids and not show them the amazing landscape. We usually plan 2 or 3 big trips out during the month to explore. I have read on other forums about great outings, but not as much was discussed regarding in the city for kids. I greatly appreciate the ideas so far!!

My 13 yo daughter is an artist and interested in architecture. I would love to get her involved in a class or two that she would enjoy. Or outdoor summer camps for the younger ones. Any suggestions for that?

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
12,323 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One month in Reykjavik with 3 kids

The information for summer 2017 is probably not yet available, but here is some info on summer classes for kids in 2016: reykjavik.is/en/news/summer-activities-child…

It sounds like there was quite a variety of options, but the website it is linked to is in Icelandic only: http://www.fristund.is/

Maybe write them an e-mail at fristundakort@itr.is to ask for activities planned for 2017 that might also be available in English.

7. Re: One month in Reykjavik with 3 kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 18, 2018