We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Actual Drive Times: for example Isafjordur to Dynjandi

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Actual Drive Times: for example Isafjordur to Dynjandi

We are planning our trip to Iceland this June and have 'mapped out' most of what we want to see and do. I have been using Google Maps as well as travel blogs, etc. to give me an idea of how long it takes to get from place to place. I wondered if anyone knew how accurate that info tends to be for Iceland?

Assuming the weather isn't a huge consideration (should be fairly nice), do most of the main roads keep to their speed limits? We've been places (Scotland, etc.) where the limit is posted "X", but there is no way anyone drove that fast (so the Google maps estimates were off). Other places, they are actually too conservative on how fast the drive would be. It seems to vary.

This mostly matters on a few days were timing is tight-ish (we like to leave ourselves plenty of time for each thing, and balance that with wanting to see a lot). For instance, when we are in Isafjordur (West Fjords), we want to drive out to Dynjandi. Estimates (one-way) range from 1hr to 1.5 hrs. Does this sound about right? I've heard the road is not great, but I think that is taken into consideration. Does anyone have a sense for how long it "really" is to do that drive? How about in general for Iceland- do thing tend to run a little faster or slower than 'estimates'?

Thanks!

1 reply
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,838 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Actual Drive Times: for example Isafjordur to Dynjandi

Driving is usually slower than estimated. Roads are usually narrower and worse than people expect.

About driving time, always expect more than less. There is so much that takes your time, like all the ,,photo spots" along the way.

Reply to: Actual Drive Times: for example Isafjordur to Dynjandi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted