We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June- 14 Days in Iceland- Ísafjörður? Too out of the way?

boston
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
June- 14 Days in Iceland- Ísafjörður? Too out of the way?

Hi there

I hope this isn't a repeat of a previously asked question.

My husband and I are traveling in Iceland for 13 days in June. We are inexperienced travelers but are really game to drive the ring road.

I have a tentative itinerary in mind- any advice or thoughts on whether this is doable?

Reykajvik- 2 days with a day trip to the Golden Circle and Blue Lagoon

Snaefellsnes

Ísafjörður

Skagafjordur

Akureyi- maybe 2 days here?

Myvatn- I've heard 2 days here are worthwhile

Seyðisfjörður- should we stop here?

Hofn

Jökulsárlón

Skaftafell National Park

Back to Reykavjik

So a few questions:

- is that even doable?

- what places should we spend more or less time in?

- Is the Golden Circle worth it? We've seen mixed reviews

- BIGGEST QUESTION- should we make the side trip out to Ísafjörður??

Any advice would be SO appreciated. Any tips about car rentals etc would also be appreciated as well!

Thank you!!

Richmond Hill...
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: June- 14 Days in Iceland- Ísafjörður? Too out of the way?

I have journaled a solo 9-day circumnavigation of the Westfjords done in the month of May. Lots of travel details, and ideas for what to see and do.

followthedustcloud.com/2012/…short-trip.html

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
200 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: June- 14 Days in Iceland- Ísafjörður? Too out of the way?

Hi,

We've booked a 14 day trip in July and had the same questions you did. I went back and forth on whether to include the Westfjords in the trip. Someone's statement here resonated which was that whatever we did we were going to have regrets because the country is so beautiful. I decided that it was better not to start the trip with the constant wonder of what we would have missed by not seeing the Westfjords. I would rather our regrets be that we didn't spend enough time in a specific area than to have not seen something at all, particularly something that gets such rave reviews and seems to suit our personalities.

Our tour organizer, Christina at Iceland Unlimited, revised the original itinerary to include the Westfjords. As soon as she did it felt perfect. We're doing a self-drive tour through them.

Maybe we'll feel we tried to do too much in such a short time, but maybe we won't. I suspect we'll be like many others and that Iceland will get under our skin and we'll need to return.

We are scenery fiends and love road tripping so we may have similar tastes to you.

Good luck with the trip!

San Diego...
11 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: June- 14 Days in Iceland- Ísafjörður? Too out of the way?

thank you both!!!

We've decided we are definitely doing the Westfjords. We will be driving Holmavik to Isafjordur to Latrabjarg with about a 4 day window... very excited!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
40 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: June- 14 Days in Iceland- Ísafjörður? Too out of the way?

I have nothing useful to add, but I wanted to say how jealous I am of your trip. It sounds amazing! One of these days, we are hoping to spend enough time in Iceland to make such a trip!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: June- 14 Days in Iceland- Ísafjörður? Too out of the way?

Sounds like you are going for it and I agree you should! We are going to Iceland for 9 days in June and I meticulously planned out the "round trip" of the island. Due to time constraints, we are actually flying in to Isafjordur (from Reykjavik), seeing Dyrjandi and Vigur and area, and then flying back Reykjavik. It cuts out a lot of driving for that particular leg (we have plenty the rest of the trip :-/ ), although I'm sure the driving will be beautiful! Have fun!

16. Re: June- 14 Days in Iceland- Ísafjörður? Too out of the way?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, January 27, 2015