We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Isafjordur - paved?

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Road to Isafjordur - paved?

Hello,

I've heard that the road from Reykjavik to Isafjordur is nowadays completely paved. Could someone tell me which road that actually is (60 or 60+608+61?) and list the interesting places I should visit on my way. Is this road the most scenic one to Isafjordur and should I take the same paved road back to Road Ring (on my way to Akureyri) or is some other route more recommendable. Thanks for your effort!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road to Isafjordur - paved?

If you take the #60 and #61 then it's paved the whole way. Map: en.ja.is/kort/…B0ur

The other route, if you would follow the #60 the whole time then you'll encounter gravel road (ca 120 km) but in my opinion that's the more scenic route. Others might disagree, but I find that part to be more dramatic. However if you're traveling outside of the summer then you wouldn't even be able to go that way since portions of it are closed during the winter.

Which time of year are you traveling? If you're coming in the summer then I would recommend you drive the #60 on your way to Isafjordur (just be aware that it will take much longer). That way you can see the Latrarbjarg cliffs and Dynjandi waterfall amongst other places. Consider splitting it in two days if you want to see the Latrarbjarg cliffs as it's a bit of a detour. Then take the #61 and #60 on your way back from Isafjordur.

Edited: 9:19 am, April 05, 2012
2. Re: Road to Isafjordur - paved?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:42 pm, June 19, 2013