We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customs for US citizens going to Europe via Iceland?

Seattle
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Customs for US citizens going to Europe via Iceland?

I am from the United States and will be traveling to Paris via Iceland this summer. I will not be stopping overnight in Iceland - I just have an hour layover before catching my plane to Paris. Does anyone know if I will go through customs in Iceland, in Paris, or both?

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
754 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Customs for US citizens going to Europe via Iceland?

You will go through customs in both countries. Iceland is not in the EU and the airport layout means that you go through customs in order to get to the departures lounge. Customs check takes about 45 seconds.

You will go through customs in Paris as well.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Customs for US citizens going to Europe via Iceland?

You'll not go through Customs - your baggage will have been checked through to Paris.

But, you will go through passport control as you'll be entering the Schengen Travel Area when you arrive in Iceland. You'll then move into the international (Schengen) departure lounge to catch your Paris flight.

In Paris, at Charles de Gaulle airport, you'll not have a passport control, but will have to pass through Customs with your baggage.

Seattle
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Customs for US citizens going to Europe via Iceland?

Thanks so much for your help! It's nice to know what to expect.

4. Re: Customs for US citizens going to Europe via Iceland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, August 15, 2009