We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B Keflavik airport

Which Keflavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Essex Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
B&B Keflavik airport

Has anyone stayed at Bed & Breakfast Keflavik Airport, in the former US military base? We have an early departure flight and wondered if it would be a good place to stay for our final night in Iceland.

LA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B Keflavik airport

We are thinking about staying here as well, but haven't been able to find a lot of information.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B Keflavik airport

I have not stayed at this location, but I have driven on what used to be the base last December and this March.

Iceland has divided what was the base into different sections, and this B and B is in what I would call the housing and educational section. It has taken some buildings and turned them into classroom/educational facilities and converted the formerly abandoned housing units into nice, liveable units. This seems to be the only area accessable to the general public, as in my drives on the base, many roads to other areas on the base are fenced off.

This place could be fine, but from my time spent driving on the former base, there is nothing there to support someone staying at that location. No restaurants, no food stores, nothing. Keflavik is nearby, but a bit too far to walk.

Perhaps if you have a car, it would work out, or you could call a cab, but I saw nothing that would be available for a person staying there. Not evem much to see; after all, it was a military base and it still looks like a military base.

On my drives, I got the very distinct feeling of this area being a ghost town; many buildings and hardly any people. I'm sure it is still in development, but it seemed very empty to me. And absolutely nothing for someone in your situation to do there. It is just not designed for tourist traffic.

If you want to be near the airport for a morning flight, I think you would be much better off to stay in Keflavik itself, as opposed to the former base area. You would at least have options on things to see, do, food, etc.

Also, consider staying in Reykjavik your last night. I know it is nice to wake up and be near the airport for a morning flight, but the transportation system is really set up for tourists to leave from Reykjavik.

Just getting from a major hotel in Keflavik to the airport can require a cab, although some smaller locations in town may take you there. And Reykjavik offers so many more options on things to do.

Whatever you do, have a nice visit.

LA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B Keflavik airport

Just to update:

We have to stay near the airport because the rest of our party is flying out around 5:00pm and we leave at 7:00am the next morning. We're turning in the rental cars when they leave. So it doesn't make sense to go back to Reykjavik.

The military base does look like a good deal, and actually if the rest of our party was leaving a little later and all we had to do was sleep we would probably stay there. But if they're leaving at 5:00, we'll want to have dinner that night and so we opted for the Hotel Keflavik, which is more in town. I wanted to stay at the Hotel Keilir because it's a little less expensive and very well reviewed, but the Hotel Keflavik has free shuttle service to and from the airport and an early morning breakfast included. So it looks like it'll be the best for our purposes.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B Keflavik airport

I've flown out of Keflavik over 50 times, and would much rather be in Reykjavik for my last night, but, as you mentioned, your situation really makes a return to Reykjavik impractical. I think you have come up with a good plan.

The B&B on the former base would work for those with a car, but as noted, there is nothing there in terms of food service, or things for a tourist to do. It is just too far away from central Keflavik to make walking an option.

For your short stay in Keflavik, you will now have the opportunity to have a nice dinner and perhaps walk a bit and see the town.

There is a nice restaurant about 4 blocks north of Hotel Keflavik, on the main street, with a great water view. And just walking the main street up to the park on the water is fun. Keflavik does have a few nice places and sights, but without a car, one really needs to be staying right in town.

I hope your trip goes well, and I think you will enjoy your night in Keflavik.

LA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: B&B Keflavik airport

Thanks for your help!

We will look for that restaurant~

6. Re: B&B Keflavik airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:28 am, October 25, 2009