We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Akureyri to Reykjavik

California
Level Contributor
44 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Akureyri to Reykjavik

Can someone tell me the best way to get from Akureyri to Reykjavik? I was looking at Air Iceland for a cheap flight but they are not common. If there is a good bus or train system, can someone give me some advice?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
9,081 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Akureyri to Reykjavik

The regular bus system, strætó. It's the yellow buses. Bus 57 is the line driving Akureyri - Reykjavik and vice versa.

http://www.straeto.is/media/sumar-2014/57.pdf

Iceland has no trains of any type :)

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
9,081 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Akureyri to Reykjavik

Another option, the local carpooling. http://www.samferda.net/

California
Level Contributor
44 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Akureyri to Reykjavik

I like the carpooling idea! :) I noticed the last bus from Akureyri to Reykjavik is 1620 and the last flight on Air Iceland is 2100 for 111 Euro. I guess for an extra few Euro I can enjoy a full day there. Do you happen to know how much the bus would cost? Hopefully I find someone to carpool with. Thank you Diane!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
9,081 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Akureyri to Reykjavik

Hi there :)

It costs 7,700 ISK to be paid by credit card to the bus driver. Well, not "to" the bus driver - you know what I mean, hehe :)))) There's also a possibility of buying little tickets, but I'll skip telling you about it, unless you plan on taking more buses in town.

I've used the carpooling myself on a few occasions. I think the car owner asked for 3,500 ISK or something around that for gas, per person (having 4 passengers - quite tight in the back seats...), the same route you mentioned.

Enjoy your trip.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
563 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Akureyri to Reykjavik

Sterna, one of the oldest established bus companies in Iceland also offer a daily service in both directions (Akureyri to Reykjavik and vice versa). The cost for this is slightly less at 6900 KR each way. You can book online at:

nat.is/travelguideeng/bus_stop_reykjavik_aku…

6. Re: Transportation from Akureyri to Reykjavik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 02, 2015