We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve in Akureyri

Which Akureyri hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Eve in Akureyri

I know that there are several tourists in Akureyri right now, some of you are in apartments and have to rely on yourself to gather info about what's going on. So I thought I'd post a short New Years Eve update for those interested.

The weather is not perfect at the moment I write this. But it could be a lot worse so there is nothing to do but hope it stays calm tonight and enjoy it whatever happens. Dress as warm as you can.

Go to the bonfire which is lit at 8:30 pm. The local rescue squad will host a fireworks show near the bonfire site at 9:00 pm. Don't miss either of these events. This is an essential part of New Years Eve. It takes place at Réttarhvammur. See it on Google Maps here: http://tinyurl.com/bk248qs

See my reply to this thread on New Years in Reykjavik. It contains general info that also applies to Akureyri: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189970-i594-k5993…

I wish you all a happy new year! I have enjoyed participating in discussions here on the forum and advising fellow travelers for the past year. Now go and enjoy the evening!

Lichfield, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve in Akureyri

a very happy New year northIce. having managed to escape through the blizzards to get down from myvatn by the skin of our teeth and with the help of the elves we had an amazing akureyri new year.

walked up to the bonfire and watched the crazy guys with their buckets of fuel. walked back to the apartment for whiskey and the aramastokop... which whilst we didn't understand a word we were able to follow with the help of Google and were rolling in stitches at the send up of the mayor. and we now know about bubbi morthens and henni gun.

we walked back to the church and just about avoided being shot by stray fireworks on the walk. the crescendo of noise and light from the fireworks bells ships was awesome never seen anything like it. then back to the apartment for champagne and hot tub under the clearing sky(no northern lights sadly but that would have been ridiculously good luck.)

so a happy New year to you for helping us with our truly brilliant new year. thank you for your help and to the other advisors on the forum

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve in Akureyri

Yes most of the towns around Akureyri had to postpone their bonfires and fireworks due to the weather. You were lucky to make it here from Myvatn. A part of the road was later closed and people that wanted to come from Myvatn to Akureyri after midnight could not do so.

Glad you were able to enjoy our inside jokes in the "áramótaskaupið" even if just a little bit hehe.

If you're still in Iceland I wish you have a good time for the remainder of the trip. Otherwise, I hope you left with good memories.

3. Re: New Years Eve in Akureyri

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, January 06, 2014