We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

supermarket/resturant/suggestions

Which Akranes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
west sussex
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
supermarket/resturant/suggestions

HI , I am staying at hotel Gylmur for three nights in March, was wondering if there is a surpermarket around this area or best to load up before we go ? is there many other resturants in the area that will be worth eating in other then the hotel itself that anyone can recomend?

Can we also drive the golden circle from this hotel or can anyone suggest a route for one of our days ?

Many thanks

1 reply
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: supermarket/resturant/suggestions

Hotel Glymur (one of my favorites) is in a rural area, and there is no supermarket or restaurants in the neighborhood (the nearest town is Akranes or Borgarnes). But the hotel restaurant is excellent !

Hotel Glymur is well located for the Golden circle and tours along the west coast as well.

For Golden circle, I recommend the following route: Road 47 around the fjord, to road 48, to road 36 towards Þingvellir. Then road 365 to 37, through Laugarvatn village, to road 35 to Geysir and Gillfoss, where you turn around and go back. But now you followroad 35 at the junction of 35 /37. Drive down to Skálholt (very historic place, well worth visiting). Continue on Rd. 35 to Kerið volcanic crater.

Here you can decide on driving down to Hgw.1 and west towards Reykjavik and from there to Glymur, or take on more scenic roads to your hotel.

If you choose the scenic route, then you drive few hundred metres to the west, and then take road 36 to road 360, and drive along the volcanic south side of Þingvallavatn lake, towards road 36 and you have completed the circle in roughly 9 - 10 hours. And there will be plenty time to do this in full daylight, if you start at around 09:00

Reply to: supermarket/resturant/suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Akranes