We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Direction from Selfoss town to Hraunfossar & Barnafoss

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Direction from Selfoss town to Hraunfossar & Barnafoss

Hi,

Can anyone advise which route should I take if I am travelling from Selfoss area to Hraunfossar & Barnafoss waterfalls.

Google maps shows 2 routes:

1, 50 & 518 which is a longer route but faster

36, 52, 518 which is shorter route but seems longer time

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,616 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Direction from Selfoss town to Hraunfossar & Barnafoss

First, Google is wrong when it claims that 36 and 52 are connected. Take the first option, the second one is just dangerous.

You can see the correct setup here: vegasja.vegagerdin.is/… Google might show the correct numbers if you zoom in. Road 550 is a no-go road to most rental companies in a 2WD.

Edited: 11:38 am, May 17, 2016
Toronto
Level Contributor
387 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Direction from Selfoss town to Hraunfossar & Barnafoss

Route 52 (Uxahryggjavegur) is fairly rough gravel. While it is not an F-road, it will be slow driving, and not recommended for compact cars or inexperienced drivers. (Some rental agencies may also not allow you to drive it.) It will take you up to the edge of the highlands.

Depending on your itinerary, you may want to travel via Thingvellir National Park by following 36 up past the park and then on to Route 1 (by staying on 36).

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Direction from Selfoss town to Hraunfossar & Barnafoss

Rikki and Kevin, thanks for pointing out the dangers on route 550 and 52.

I will not go that way. Lucky I ask for advise.

4. Re: Direction from Selfoss town to Hraunfossar & Barnafoss

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 19, 2017