We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iceland in december

Clearwater, Florida
4 posts
Save Topic
Iceland in december

My husband and I are thinking of going to Iceland for 10-15 days in December. How cold does it get to be during that time? Is it bearable? Also, what are cool things that we should absolutely see? Thanks!

East Coast, USA
Level Contributor
746 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iceland in december

Haven't been there in December so I can't comment on the weather except to say that the lowest average temp all year is 29 degrees F, which isn't bad (that would be Jan.). However, the wind is the variable that can make it okay or frigid.

We absolutely loved Landmannalaugar on our trip. Blue Lagoon is also a must-see. Certainly Gulfoss and Geysir are great sights, but the Golden Circle tour in full was my least favorite tour. Sightseeing in Reykjavik itself is also a must see (Hallgrim's Church, the longboat sculpture, Perlan, the shopping district, Tjornin at night, etc.). I would definitely try to catch the Northern Lights too. Our complete trip report of our tours is posted on our forum ... http://pub2.bravenet.com/forum/147964256.

Have fun!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
600 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iceland in december

LuRy: have a look at the climatic tables on here: vedur.is/vedurfar/…climate_info_en.html

The windchill can get bad but if you bring plenty of warm clothes you should be okay. You just need to dress according to the weather.

Fuzzlekins: Wow! How have I missed your trip report and photos? Very detailed. Excellent! I'm sure loads of people will find your site very helpful.

East Coast, USA
Level Contributor
746 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iceland in december

Thanks, TaraTara! We LOVED your country!!!! Practically had to drag my hubby onto the plane to leave. He enjoyed the weather but we were there at the end of August/early September. There's a *chance* we'll pass through Iceland again with a one-night stopover at the end of November (hoping so anyway) -- will be interesting to feel the weather difference and see the daylight difference. How likely would we be to catch the Northern Lights outside of either Keflavik or Reykjavik at the end of November?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
600 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iceland in december

Fuzzlekins: As likely as you'll ever get. The end of November is just 3 weeks short of winter solstice, the longest day of the year. I've seen them quite a few times this autumn from Reykjavík. As I'm sure you're well aware the main factor is luck. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Great to hear you both had a good time in Iceland. Welcome back:)

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iceland in december

While it is always fun to visit Iceland, it has been my experience that the real benefit is the incredible natural beauty of the country.

Unfortunately, in December, there is very little daylight...4-5 hrs of daylight, so viewing the beautiful counrtyside is quite limited.

The weather is always a question, but it does not get that cold.....the biggest problem is wind/rain.

I hope you decide to go, as there is a lot to see and do, but the limited daylight hours may restrict your activities.

6. Re: Iceland in december

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:27 am, August 25, 2009