We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Egilsstadir to Hofn, road 1 or 92 and 96?

LA
Level Contributor
374 posts
Egilsstadir to Hofn, road 1 or 92 and 96?

Hi!

So..my friend just came back from Iceland and advised me that I avoid road 1 when driving from Egilsstadir to Hofn. The reason is that road 92 and 96 are much easier to drive since they're mostly landscape.

Is this advised...? or should I just take road 1? What do people take usually?

Looking at the map, 92 and 96 might be a good choice since there's a beautiful town (Fjarðabyggð; at least in pictures) that I can stop by along the way.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
12,080 posts
26 reviews
22 helpful votes
1. Re: Egilsstadir to Hofn, road 1 or 92 and 96?

I don´t understand you. There´s landscape all over Iceland, and on this route which ever route you take.

Hgw. 1 has a very steep , packed gravel section, through a mountain pass. But the coastal route is mostly flat drive around the fjords, mostly on tarmac.

Cinisello Balsamo...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
212 reviews
120 helpful votes
2. Re: Egilsstadir to Hofn, road 1 or 92 and 96?

Rd 1 from Eglisstadir to Hofn offers some of the scariest moments that you'll ever encounter during the Ring Road tour. Long unpaved and bumpy mountain passes with few guardrails. I did the other way (going up to Egillstadir), but promised myself I would never never never never do it going down to Hofn, and other tourists confirmed to me that it was scariest even for them! :)

Judge for yourself and imagine it with thick fog you couldn't see 1mt from the windshield!!

https://www.google.it/maps/@64.9018846,-14.5844895,3a,75y,6.68h,69.75t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sKQqEcVcdoe7A-5xe5wbIPw!2e0

LA
Level Contributor
374 posts
3. Re: Egilsstadir to Hofn, road 1 or 92 and 96?

@icelandicguide // I'm NOT talking about the entire iceland. As I wrote in the original post, I'm ONLY talking about the road 1 between Eglisstadir and Hofn.

LA
Level Contributor
374 posts
4. Re: Egilsstadir to Hofn, road 1 or 92 and 96?

@aleripe // Thank you. Yes, that's exactly what my friend told me. I guess I'm taking 92 and 96...

D T
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
15 helpful votes
5. Re: Egilsstadir to Hofn, road 1 or 92 and 96?

I took the Ring Road and I agree that there are sharp curves and no guard rails on a gravel, but the views were breathtaking! If you take it slow, you will be alright. There was one curve that 20 km. I think it is part of the whole Icelandic experience to experience that you. That being said you know yourself best. Take whichever road you feel more comfortable taking. Have fun!

D T
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
15 helpful votes
6. Re: Egilsstadir to Hofn, road 1 or 92 and 96?

Just to clarify I meant the Ring Road from Egilsstadir to Hofn...

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
7. Re: Egilsstadir to Hofn, road 1 or 92 and 96?

Can't say anything about route 1 but I took the 92/96 clockwise last September and its a good road and i enjoyed driving it. There is a speed camera in the tunnel.

LA
Level Contributor
374 posts
8. Re: Egilsstadir to Hofn, road 1 or 92 and 96?

@D T // Thank you so much. Um..I think I should watch the weather then decide the day before :)

@zeb2015 // Thank you!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
109 reviews
64 helpful votes
9. Re: Egilsstadir to Hofn, road 1 or 92 and 96?

What about 939 (in the summer)? What is the quickest way to go between Hofn and Egilsstadir?

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
12,080 posts
26 reviews
22 helpful votes
10. Re: Egilsstadir to Hofn, road 1 or 92 and 96?

92 and 96, the coastal route. Or Hgw. 1 if you are confident driver on steep gravel roads.