We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taratara

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Taratara

Ok Tara, here is my last question and then I will stop pestering you. As I stated before, I will be in Iceland for the first week of September. To have a little flexibility and due to the fact I am travelling alone, is it ok not to make reservations for when I am outside of Reykjavik? I am thinking I don't want to be tied down to a schedule and I will have a car to move around. Is it easy to come into a town like Akureyri and find a single room to rent or should I book ahead?

Thanks for your help,

Paul

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
600 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taratara

Hi Paul,

You're not pestering me, I wouldn't be here if I didn't enjoy helping where I can:) I'm afraid this is not one of the things I can help you with though as I have no personal experience or knowledge. I find it likely that travel agents would advice you to book ahead...but then again you may be just fine winging it in September. It's a little too close to high season for comfort that's all.

If it was me I'd take the chance. But that's just me. I don't like schedules.

San Rafael, CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Taratara

Hi, we just got back from Iceland after 2.5 weeks of travelling around. We had some confirmed reservations for part of the holiday and left days open. We were able to get places to stay 1 day ahead. SO I would say that at that time of year you probably would have no problem finding a place to put your head down if you were not choosy about the type of accomodation. Bring a sleeping bag. Sleeping bag accomodation is actually pretty decent. When you get into Reykjavik there will be free books on accomodation all over Iceland in all the major hotel lobbies and tourist information centers. Just make sure you have a mobile phone handy. I bought a pre paid card from Siminn and I had good coverage.

Hope this helps

Hannah

3. Re: Taratara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, August 12, 2009