We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ice Rental 4x4

Victoria, Canada
1 post
1 review
2 helpful votes
Ice Rental 4x4

My husband and I recently did a 2 week driving tour of Iceland. We used http://icerental4x4.is car rental company for our jeep cherokee. This car rental company goes out of their way to deliver amazing customer service. They are very personable, give great advice about driving in Iceland, and care about your vacation whole-heartedly. We arrived a day late due to flight complications and when we called upon arriving at the airport, they were there within minutes with a vehicle ready, though they had been expecting us the previous day. This was the best vehicle-rental experience we’ve ever had.

115 replies to this topic
Reykjavik, Iceland
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
14,698 posts
61 reviews
65 helpful votes
1. Re: Ice Rental 4x4

Good to know :)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Ice Rental 4x4

I second this. These guys are great and really do go out of their way. I had rented the Tuscon and had 0 issues with the car. The experience was great and they bend over backwards to meet your needs. Easily the best car rental experience ever.

Prague, Czech...
1 post
1 review
3. Re: Ice Rental 4x4

I just recently finished my trip to Iceland. Had rented Jeep Grand Cherokee from icerental4x4.is. Not only the price was really reasonable, but also both owners were REALLY supportive in any way you can imagine. I love to deal with smaller companies rather than with Hertz or EuropeCar. These two great men are on the market just for year or two, and they do really great job. I have to say that even when I've run into the problem (engine failure, my fault, I just simply destroy it, water in air intake), they were treating me so well, that it didn't destroy my wallet, neither my vacation in Iceland. They simply know their business.

Guys, I really recommend these two great folks and BE AWARE OF WATER. Prepare yourself, and trust your intuition (mine said, don't cross this river, and I did't listen to it, unfortunately). Cheers, and enjoy Iceland.

Victoria, Canada
1 post
4. Re: Ice Rental 4x4

I had a very good experience with Icerental4x4 while I was in Iceland in June, 2014. The customer service was excellent, the car was quite suitable for travel throughout Iceland, and the price was reasonable.

The service did not, unfortunately, continue after I returned the vehicle.

I had originally booked the car for 8 days. Well before arriving and before taking delivery of the vehicle, I contacted Icerental4x4 to let them know that I only needed 7 days. They confirmed that I would not have to pay for the 8th day. Since returning from Iceland mid June, however, they have not refunded the charges, nor have they returned any of my email messages requesting the same.

I probably shouldn't get worked up over $120, but warn you to be sure you confirm the amount of payment with these fellows before you leave Iceland.

Lausanne...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: Ice Rental 4x4

We did a trip to Iceland in the end of October 2014, and I would recommend Icerental4x4. The responsible person met us in the airport and explained everything well. The car was not a newest one, with couple of minor issues, but it was absolutely OK. At the end we just left it in the airport and texted the contact person, and he came later to take it. Since there were no issues and no problems with the company, I highly recommend it.

Edited: 7:17 am, December 14, 2014
Brooklyn, New York...
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
11 helpful votes
6. Re: Ice Rental 4x4

We as well used Ice Rentals and they were great. While the car was on the older side (Suzuki Jimny that didn't have locking doors; who needs locking doors in Iceland anyway :)), the tires were brand new winter tires with the metal spikes, which was necessary in January. We felt safe in the car, and the agency owners who picked us up at the airport where approachable and gave us a lot of helpful information. Luckily we never had to contact them for the week we were there, but drop off (the only time we contacted them) was smooth. It also doesn't hurt that their prices are the lowest (even lower than Sad Cars at the time of our rental).

We'll definitely be using them next time and I can't recommend them enough. Nice to rent for a small, local agency too instead of a larger corporation.

Seattle, Washington
1 post
7. Re: Ice Rental 4x4

These guys were awesome!

Tewkesbury, United...
1 post
8. Re: Ice Rental 4x4

Brilliant little company, hired a suzuki grand vitara for a very reasonable price, delivery service was great and the 2 guys gave us some good tips!

Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
9. Re: Ice Rental 4x4

Brilliant rent a car company!

We rented a Suzuki Grand Vitara which worked like a charm!! There was snow everywhere and we could make our trips without an issue. Magnus gave as good tips and the experience overall was easy and smooth. If I go to Iceland again I'll rent in Icerental4x4.is for sure.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
12 helpful votes
10. Re: Ice Rental 4x4

Ice Rental 4x4 is amazing! I read so many horror stories about car hire in Iceland and was really really worried about renting a car and then being stitched up. When we met Magnus I explained how worried I was and his response was 'we are just honest guys doing honest business'. He is true to his word. He was great, really accommodating and helpful, told us what websites to visit to check the roads and weather forecast. Gave us his number and told us we could contact his 24hrs a day. They drop the car to you anywhere in the city and they are really reasonably priced. Would recommend them to anyone!

Reply to: Ice Rental 4x4
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted