We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report 6-Vik to Reykjavikto airport

long island
Level Contributor
225 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report 6-Vik to Reykjavikto airport

Just west of Vik was a side road (215) that went to the shoreline where once again, many silly puffins covered the cliffside and the rock had incredible basalt formations...colums so large you could climb on them. On the way back to the city we stopped in Hvolsvollur and attached to the tourist information building was a saga museum that my husband visited while I had a nice talk with the girl who ran it. I found out about the house costs in the area, why everyone speaks English so well(TV), and how much the average Icelander has to work to afford living costs. In the city we stayed at the Bjork Hotel and could walk to the major areas of the city from there. The following day we did find 'the rift' out past Keflavik...a great spot for me where you stand on a little wooden brige where the North American and Eurasian plates diverge. We had to return the rental car full of gas and ran into a little trouble at the automated fill up station that required a 'pin number' when entering your credit card and our American Visa card doesn't have one. We were lucky we had a few thousand Krona left that we could feed into the pump to fill up with Boarding the airplane was a mad dash as they had no organized boarding procedure. Flight home was smooth, on time, and beautiful as we coould see Greenland and many icebergs in the water. Finally, I would like to thank everyone in Iceland for making our trip so special. I hope this report was useful or at least interesting to anyone who read it. I do plan on returning to see more of this special country, live each day the best you can....Beth

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
154 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report 6-Vik to Reykjavikto airport

Hi Beth,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm glad you enjoyed you trip. Your reports brought back great memory of Vik and Skogar. We will definitely stop at Kirkjubaejarklauster for the basalt column now. It was on our "to see" list. At Skogarfoss did you hike up the waterfalls (there is path)? We didn't have time last time and it is on our "must do" list!. Do you happen to remember on which road the rift was out of Keflavik? We will arrive in Keflavik at around 6:30 AM on a Sunday and we plan to spend some time in the area before heading to the blue lagoon, which open at 10 am in September. It would be a fun thing to do I think. After the Blue lagoon we will be checking in at our guesthouse in Reykjavik for a small nap.

Hertfordshire, UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report 6-Vik to Reykjavikto airport

We are due to go to iceland in September for 7 days and it looks like you have picked a very similar iternery to us, so the report was extremly helpful.

long island
Level Contributor
225 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report 6-Vik to Reykjavikto airport

Suzanne- We did not hike up the path at Skogafoss but there were paths that headed 'up' but I don't remember seeing anyone standing near the top of the falls...the mist and spray limit the visibility. As far as the rift goes it is called 'a bridge between continents' on maps and if you pick up a free tourist map called the REYKJANES Map its on there along with 30 other interesting places to visit out there by the airport. It is south of a town called HAFNIR. The road number is 44 If you go to the library/tourist information inREYKjanesbaer, they will give you a 'certificate'(great for kids and me too) that they put an 'official seal' on, saying you were there.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,592 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report 6-Vik to Reykjavikto airport

re. Skogafoss - it's quite interesting to walk behind the waterfall, but remember to wear waterproofs, as the wind can change and blow the water back towards the cliff face, as I found to my cost....

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
600 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report 6-Vik to Reykjavikto airport

Thank you so much for sharing naturewoman. It's great when people tell of their travels when they get back. I really enjoyed reading about your experiences:)

6. Re: Trip report 6-Vik to Reykjavikto airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, August 12, 2009