We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iceland in September

Patchogue, New York
1 post
Save Topic
Iceland in September

I would like to plan a trip to Iceland In September. I am dying to see the Northern Lights and I realize that there is no predicting when they will appear, but am trying to optimize my chances of seeing them. I was going to go during the week of the new moon (Sept 24), probably for a full week. From what I'm reading it says the "season" is mid Sept through mid March, but most of the tours look like they don't start until Oct. I REALLY want to see the lights, but also want to go at a time when there's still enough daylight and a moderate enough temp to enjoy daytime activities and the whole experience of Iceland. So my question is, is late Sept late enough, or should I push it back a little to Oct? Which dates do you think I'll get more out of.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
8,749 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iceland in September

September is fine, very fine. Any time in September is good. You'll have to be ready to stay awake for a while after midnight if you really want to see them. The rule of thumbs is: if the skies are relatively clear, give it chance, no matter what the aurora forecast says.

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy Iceland!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
19 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iceland in September

Late September is fine :) And the weather is often still nice this time of year

Toronto
Level Contributor
305 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iceland in September

September is fine, especially by mid-September you will have several hours of fully dark sky each night. (In the following table, the times between the end of astronomical twilight one day and the start of astronomical twilight the next are fully dark.)

timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html…

The perennial challenge is then finding a spot with a clear sky, and not just a dark one. The Icelandic Met Office has a handy aurora forecast page that provides cloud cover forecasts and (in season) forecasts of auroral activity.

http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/aurora/

As Diane says, though, the more often you look at the sky, the more likely you are to get lucky. Solar activity can be very intermittent.

4. Re: Iceland in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 24, 2015