We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Reykjavik to Akureyri

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Getting from Reykjavik to Akureyri

Hello! I want to do a tour that starts in Akureyri on June 1. I plan to travel up to Akureyri on May 31 and head back to Reykjavik on June 2. What is the cheapest way to get there and back? I have looked at flights as well as car rentals but they each run about $300 which is more than I want to spend just to get to a place.

I know there is the public buses but I can't seem to work the website enough to see if they are running when I need them. The website says that Reykjavik buses start June 8 but when I use the trip planner it lets me see a bus for May 31. I also can't figure out what time the earliest bus would run.

Would the public bus work or is there another mode of transportation that will get me to Akureyri cheaply? Also, would it be easy to find someone to carpool with? I'm open to this but since I'm booking a tour I need to be able to be sure that I will get there.

Delft, The...
Level Contributor
631 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Getting from Reykjavik to Akureyri

Thanks to ValdiSig's link, I noticed that the summer schedule for the country busses starts May 15. Which means that there are two busses to Akureyri, one at 9:00 and 16:30. The return busses from Akureyri leave slightly earlier (10:15 and 16:20)

http://www.straeto.is/media/sumar-2014/57.pdf

Edited: 5:11 pm, April 16, 2014
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Getting from Reykjavik to Akureyri

Thank you so much erensm and ValdiSig! You have both been immensely helpful.

13. Re: Getting from Reykjavik to Akureyri

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 19, 2015