We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much did you spend on car rental or tours? Please help!!

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How much did you spend on car rental or tours? Please help!!

I am planning to do some tours around Iceland and I have been getting estimates from different companies for about $1500-$2000 USD for 3 people for 4 full days. In the opposite side, I have been looking into car rentals and its about $500-$800 that is without the cost of gas which I don't know how much I will be spending. I will prefer to go on the tours if I will only be saving only $200-$300 USD, if I will save more I will rent the car.

Please let me know about how much did you spend in about 4 days renting a car including the cost of gas. This are the following tours I will be doing:

Wed July 16

Jokulsarlon

Seljalandsfoss

Skaftafell

Vatnajokull

----->14 hours tour

Thurs July 17

Snaefellsnes

Kikjufell

------>10 hours tour.

Friday July 18

Gullfoss

Geysir

Midnight whale watching

---->12 hours tour

Saturday July 19

Blue lagoon on my way to the airport

my flight leaves at 4:10pm.

----->5 hours tour.

1. Re: How much did you spend on car rental or tours? Please help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:31 am, April 21, 2014
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How much did you spend on car rental or tours? Please help!!

Perfect, that helps a lot!!

Finland
Level Contributor
894 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much did you spend on car rental or tours? Please help!!

David, I would ignore darren d. He just pulled up four car rental threads to plug a company. With that English I don't think he lives in Fort Lauderdale... :)

Gas costs about US$ 8.5 per gallon, diesel is about the same. I hope that helps to estimate the cost.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
176 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much did you spend on car rental or tours? Please help!!

We rented a car with ProCar for 4-5 days which cost about $350. Gas was around $10/gallon. It was still cheaper than tours, plus you can't beat the freedom of having a car. We could stay as long as we liked at each location and did not have to adhere to any strict schedules.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
271 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much did you spend on car rental or tours? Please help!!

Have you already booked your hotels? If not, I would recommend Tour.Is. We used them in October and they have a good reputation. The prices were pretty reasonable and included our accommodations and car rental. That way, we just drove to all the things we wanted to see instead of paying extra for tours, and saw many of the things on your list. For example, this is the tour we booked. The prices have gone up since last year, but I think that Iceland will continue to get more expensive as the years go on.

tour.is/tour-package/the_south_coast_and_a_n…

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much did you spend on car rental or tours? Please help!!

I will also highly recommend www.tour.is for self dirve private guiding, touring, and quite simply for their advice and help, and business ethics

Edited: 8:04 pm, April 25, 2014
Northfield, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How much did you spend on car rental or tours? Please help!!

Renting a car is cheaper, gives you more freedom, solitude and fewer hours on a bus backtracking to RVK. The destinations you mentioned are easily accessible and easy to find. No need for a tour, unless you want to go on a glacier or to the highlands, forging rivers. But I'm sure some people on this forum will disagree, since they use every post as an excuse to recommend going on expensive tours. Last piece of advise: skip the midnight whale watch, if you are planning to do it from RVK. The only thing you'll see is minkies; not worth it. If you want to see the big ones (humpbacks esp), go to Dalvik or Husavik in the North. That's my two cents.

8. Re: How much did you spend on car rental or tours? Please help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, April 26, 2014
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
562 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much did you spend on car rental or tours? Please help!!

Personally I find that renting a car is only cheaper if you travel in a group - solo it is considerably more expensive and well beyond my own price league. I guess though at the end of the day it is personal choice. If you have the money, good luck to you ! I would rather let someone else do the driving though, so that I can relax.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much did you spend on car rental or tours? Please help!!

I agree Geysirgirl. Trav elling solo changes everything. 'the not what you know, but whom is a key. But I also agree to each his own, but for some, it is all about them, and only their way is the right way. I am so glad there are only a few who think that, and ridicule. I also think we should only recommend that or whom we know and have actually used.

Edited: 5:37 am, April 27, 2014