We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hrunalaug- accessible by self-drive in March?

Georgia
Level Contributor
658 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hrunalaug- accessible by self-drive in March?

Hi all,

I am interested in finding a natural geothermal pool not too far from the Ring Road, and I came across this info about Hrunalaug:

"Hrunalaug is also easily accessible from Reykjavík. It is about an hour's drive, close to the village of Flúðir. You need to drive road no 344 (Hrunavegur) from Flúðir and turn off it towards Sólheimar. Drive past the church and stop when you come to a parking space that has a 'no camping' sign. Just over the hill (2 minute walk) is Hrunalaug."

My question is, is road no 344 generally accessible in mid-March with a standard 2WD (or 4WD, if necessary) vehicle? And what about the road that you "turn off it" onto, towards Solheimar? Is it typically possible to get to Hrunalaug in March for 2 people traveling alone (barring any snowstorms, etc.)? Thanks for the info.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hrunalaug- accessible by self-drive in March?

Roads with three digits are less serviced, so in case of snow this road can get tricky, and the road you have to turn off to might not be serviced at all, so it might be difficult if there will be snow on the ground.

Georgia
Level Contributor
658 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hrunalaug- accessible by self-drive in March?

OK, good to know. We will play it by ear and hope to get there if the weather/road conditions are good. If there are any other natural geothermal pools not far off the southern half of the ring road (or up towards Snaefellsnes peninsula) that we could get to in good weather (within about an easy hour's hike from the car parking), I would love to hear your suggestions. Thanks!

3. Re: Hrunalaug- accessible by self-drive in March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 30, 2014