We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel cancellations likely?

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
741 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel cancellations likely?

I am struggling to find suitable accommodation near Jokulsarlon (probably Kirkjubaejarklaustur area) for December 2nd and 3rd 2013.

Is it your experience that most places are booked and will be cancelled nearer the time by people, who are just holding them, as cancellation is free with companies like booking.com up till 2 days before arrival? Or a true fact that they are booked, as many places close in winter, so demand is higher?

I have booked (just in case) Hotel Klaustur for the 2 nights, which just seems 'ok' but I can cancel that up to 2 days before.

I have only ever come across this in National Park accommodation in the US, so wondered if it is similar here?

Snaefellsjokull National Park & Glacier
Geologic Formations, National Parks
Skaftarstofa
Geologic Formations, National Parks, State Parks, Volcanos, Waterfalls
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,353 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel cancellations likely?

If they are still fully booked 29 days before your date, then they're fully booked. When I worked as a hotel receptionist, we released agency allotments with a frame of 15 days. That should be your narrowest margin. If the hotel offers you a waiting list, it means that they have unbooked allotments.

How are you 'struggling to find' the accommodations? I suggest the telephone! The places over there are not big places. Last summer I booked for myself and a foreign friend of mine who was visiting. I called one of the guesthouses, and after agreeing on the date, I asked if he wanted me to send him an e-mail to confirm the booking, to which the farmer replied that NO by no means. He gets too many e-mails, and he can't reply them all. He probably wouldn't even see mine.

So, if you really want to book it, call (my suggestion).

Best regards,

Diane

2. Re: Hotel cancellations likely?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 01, 2014