We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iceland in top 10 lists (Just for Interest)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Iceland in top 10 lists (Just for Interest)

A report today in my local paper, a survey by Lonely Planet, 'Category for top 10 places to visit with families,' Iceland came in at # 9. Denmark was at #1 and Lapland at #10. Interesting I thought.

In another one of countries #1 - 15 'Tales to Tantalise the imagination,' Iceland 's Horses and Sheep round-ups came in at #7

Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iceland in top 10 lists (Just for Interest)

Iceland is an all time favourite, and quite a bargain

Your Adelaide is also amongst the top 10 cities for 2014

smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/top-destinatio…

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iceland in top 10 lists (Just for Interest)

Thank you Mr Cruiser

You are right of course, Adelaide is the best city and it is smaller, Than most of the others, only c1.2 million people, no cyclones, plenty of fires. We are friendlier (not so uptight) have the best Aussie accent ;-) Great wines ( I know of two places in Iceland who serve Adelaide wines, and the best fortifieds, better temps, great beaches, and are not so crowded, with better weather. How am I doing?

Now I don't want you to think I have a bias at all. :-) I think I have done a good job her describing my little place in the world, when are you coming?

Now that Oval is a different matter, it was fine the way it was, and with so much heritage there. I don't agree with that development. There are a couple of others also, that are not popular. Obviously 'the children' who use the playground called Parliament House, have got it all covered. Elections are in early 2014. I cant wait.

Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iceland in top 10 lists (Just for Interest)

@Aussie

We will be visiting Iceland in Dec this year, really hoping to see the NL.

We're looking at Australia for next year or the yr after - have heard and read so much about the place, would certainly like to include Sydney/ Adelaide, Alice Springs and Uluru, Darwin and Kakadu, and Cairns and the GB Reef ;)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iceland in top 10 lists (Just for Interest)

Mr Cruiser Come on down, we are a friendly bunch. Now, you want to see all that!! hope you are planning plenty of time. :-) Can be done, distances mean nothing to us Aussies, but you will need time, unless you will fly between the cities. You did not include Perth, the best city after Adelaide. I lived in Darwin for a year. Don't come in the real heat of summer. It can get unbearable, and oppressive at times. Cyclones in the North between November - February, and sometimes later. Let me know if I can help at all. The only place I have not been on your list is Uluru. It is a bit out of the way from Alice Springs. 'Short drive for Aussies, . It has been returned to the hands of the 'original' owners. If you want to look and dive the Barrier Reef the season can be important.

Iceland I do truly love. It is like a drug, I am totally addicted, and if there is a cure, I most certainly don't want it. Have you considered combining the Faroes as well, at the same time. They are stunning. But then for you it is not so far

Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iceland in top 10 lists (Just for Interest)

@Aussiegrannie

Thanks for the reply and invite! Your country is certainly very big and beautiful with sooo much to see and do, when it is the right time I will post on the Australia travel forum for sure for advice and guidance.

I see that you've been to Iceland many times too, you are so fortunate, have you been lucky to have seen the Northern Lights? In addition to scanning for the NL, we will also be going on a glacier hike, doing the Golden Circle tour and visiting the Laugarvatn Fontana geothermal baths. Any comments on these activities, and also what good things to see and do in Reykjavik?

6. Re: Iceland in top 10 lists (Just for Interest)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 02, 2014