We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iceland football vs. Croatia, question about tickets and pub

Oregon
Level Contributor
67 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Iceland football vs. Croatia, question about tickets and pub

Hello!

I've been following the Iceland qualifying campaign and booked a trip once they qualified for the playoff round. I'll be there on Nov. 15 for the match against Croatia!

I'm a bit nervous about ticket availability. As I do freelance work (and plan to for this game) I requested a media pass but was quickly turned down due to an overbooking of requests. I found out that the website midi.is will be selling the tickets but it appears I might have difficulty ordering them if I don't live in Iceland (I read something in a rough Icelandic translation on the Iceland football site about tickets to international buyers seemingly being restricted - probably to curb ticket broker purchases). I hope this isn't the case!!

Any suggestions for obtaining a ticket otherwise? Is there a (legal) resale market in Iceland or online in Europe (similar to Stubhub.com?). Also, I'll still be in Reykjavik for the Nov. 19 away match and would like to catch it in a local sports bar or pub. What's a good pub to go to that would attract the best football fans?

Passau, Germany
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Iceland football vs. Croatia, question about tickets and pub

I also look for two tickets Iceland vs. Croatia... My sister and I flew to Iceland on 14th November. Does anybody know where I can get tickets? Otherwise we'll have to watch the game in a pub ;-) Near to the stadium there is a sportsbar I have seen :)

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Iceland football vs. Croatia, question about tickets and pub

And the tickets are sold out already now. If you don't have a ticket you'll need to go to a sports bar.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,944 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Iceland football vs. Croatia, question about tickets and pub

But available on "the black market" for 25 000 Isk.

Or even less: dv.is/sport/…

Edited: 8:46 am, October 29, 2013
Oregon
Level Contributor
67 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Iceland football vs. Croatia, question about tickets and pub

I discovered bland.is on another forum for Airwaves tickets. I'll play around with it and see if I can get any kind of deal. I guess it's my only hope now other than a sports pub!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Iceland football vs. Croatia, question about tickets and pub

I'd be careful about buying the tickets on the black market. People here are furious about the decision of starting to sell the tickets during the night. They were all gone before most normal people even had the chance to try to buy. This has put a lot of pressure on the KSI (football assotiation of Iceland) and they have stated that they will monitor bland.is and void any tickets that they discover to be sold that way. Then they will resell the same tickets on midi.is.

I'm sure there will be some scammers who will try (and succeed) in getting money off desperate fans by selling invalid tickets. But of course that is always the risk you take by trying to get tickets this way.

Edited: 1:52 pm, October 29, 2013
Oregon
Level Contributor
67 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Iceland football vs. Croatia, question about tickets and pub

I hear what you say but unfortunately I don't have much choice but bland.is. it seems - unless come the day of the game I can hang around the stadium and get lucky. I don't know how selling tickets outside the stadium is viewed over there - in the U.S. it's quite easy (despite some local laws in a few places).

Ugh, I'm torn in my frustrations about this. On one hand I feel for true Icelandic fans who got screwed over this morning. On a more selfish note (as a freelance writer) I'm frustrated KSI with not providing much help with media access and leaving me in this spot with a booked plane ticket and no access to the game I was going to cover.

I'll keep looking for tickets someway or other, if I end up with any spares in my quest, I'll just give them away to a deserved fan.

Salinas, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Iceland football vs. Croatia, question about tickets and pub

Any idea what the face value of the tickets is? Also heading up for the game... hope my buddies were awake early today! GO ICELAND!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Iceland football vs. Croatia, question about tickets and pub

I think they were sold at 4000 ISK per ticket which was way too cheap. The real value would have been closer to 10000 ISK. According to media, tickets are now being sold on the black market at prices between 10000 to 25000. Maybe more if someone is really desperate.

At bland.is a huge number of people have been selling their tickets. I would not buy a ticket from someone that claims to have many tickets. First of all, those might be cancelled because KSI has stated they will look for these adverts and void tickets if they were bought in large quantities by the same person.

Excess demand for tickets to a football match is seldom a issue here. Therefore we don't have a lot of experience with scalpers. The last two games have been sold out and now this one. Reselling a ticket is not allowed but of course people always find ways around things.

Maybe if you show up at the stadium with 15 or 20 thousand kronur someone will be willing to give up their ticket...

Salinas, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Iceland football vs. Croatia, question about tickets and pub

In the states, to get around local no-ticket-scalping laws, sometimes a souvenir button, program, or flag will be sold for a huge price. Included will also be a 'free' ticket to whatever event is going on. No laws against making a profit on souvenirs...

20. Re: Iceland football vs. Croatia, question about tickets and pub

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 02, 2014