We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Icelandair strict about 13 lb/6kg carry on luggage limit?

New York
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Topic
Is Icelandair strict about 13 lb/6kg carry on luggage limit?

Hello all-

My husband and I are camping around Iceland for 12 days. We leave this Thursday!

As we are preparing to pack, we noticed that Icelandair's website says that you are limited to one carry on that weighs only 13 lbs! We were planning to pack as much as possible in our carry on in case the luggage gets lost! Can anyone comment as to weather they actually check the weight of your carry on? We're leaving from JFK.

Thanks so much in advance for any help!

Melissa

Reykjavi­k, Iceland
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Icelandair strict about 13 lb/6kg carry on luggage limit?

Hi Melissa,

Yes, all Icelandic airlines are very strict about these rules. Most of the time they weigh all your luggage, however sometimes they don't, but there is no gurantee.

If you have a lot of overweight it can be expensive for you.

I just want to point out that there are reasons for why your carry on cannot be more then 6kg. One main and understandable reason is that sometimes these bags tend to fall out from the racks above the people and they can get serious injuries if the bag is very heavy.

Hope this helps.

Flekkur.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Icelandair strict about 13 lb/6kg carry on luggage limit?

I live in Iceland and travel 8-10 times a year internationally on business. I always check my baggage and limit my carry-on to a laptop and a few small items. I estimate that my bag goes missing on about 1 in 40 flights (and I've always got it back). So far as I recall, these have always been on non-Icelandair flights - I am sure Icelandair does lose bags (no-one's perfect!), but it hasn't happened to me in 24 years of flying with them.

You have an entitlement of 2 x 23kg (50lbs) bags each person as checked baggage.

I'd suggest that you check most of your baggage.

3. Re: Is Icelandair strict about 13 lb/6kg carry on luggage limit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, August 14, 2009