We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jokulsarlon Lagoon tours

London, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Jokulsarlon Lagoon tours

Hi All,

I know this question must have been asked earlier but from where you can get best views of Jokurlson lake. Also do we need to book boat ride tours earlier or are they available real time.

I am travelling next week.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,786 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jokulsarlon Lagoon tours

You can book the boat tours on arrival, they go one after the other. I would recommend the RIB´s on the western side of the river, maybe a little more expensive, but they go further closer to the edge of the ice, and are simply more fun !

There are many parking lots along the Hgw.1, before you come to the actual ,,lagoon park", and the view can be enjoyed from all og them. But I recommend that you go all the way to the bridge for the first stop, then you can decide if you want to try one of the other places.

This may sound a little confusing, but just drive all the way to the big bridge, without stopping, and you´ll see what I mean.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
8,361 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jokulsarlon Lagoon tours

I would recommend having a look at the other glacial lagoon, Fjallsárlón, as well, which is some 10.3 km west of Jökulsárlón.

ja.is/kort/…

And the black beach with the icebergs, where the Jökulsárlón meets the ocean. They look like diamonds on black velvet.

Another thing: the amphibian boat tours might not be running after the end of September. When are you travelling?

Best regards,

Diana

Edited: 4:57 pm, August 16, 2013
Brisbane
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jokulsarlon Lagoon tours

We went on a Zodiac Boat Tour http://icelagoon.com/ and recommend them if you want to be close to the larger icebergs in the lagoon and want to get right up to the edge of the glacier. We went on the evening tour which is a bit longer and a lot more expensive. Don't think it is worth the extra money, compared to the day ones, unless it is a time of the year when the sun is going to be setting at that time. We accidentally initially went to another glacier lagoon about 5-10 minutes drive west of Jokulsarlon Lagoon (driving from Reykjavik). Don't know what it is called. Thank goodness we did as it was truly beautiful and I got some lovely photos from the shore.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
8,361 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jokulsarlon Lagoon tours

Hello Anne!

It's Fjallsárlón.

5. Re: Jokulsarlon Lagoon tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 19, 2014