We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights November/December 2013

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
384 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Lights November/December 2013

It is my birthday on 30th November and my wifes on 3rd December. I also believe it is a new moon around the 2nd December so the skies should be darker,

We are thinking of visiting Reykjavic for 5-7 nights over our birthdays. I fully appreciate that the Northern Lights cannot be guaranteed but is this generally a good time of year to experience them. Also will all other tours (blue lagoon, whale watching etc) be operating this time of year.

Thank you

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Lights November/December 2013

Yes this time of year is just as fine as any other month between Sep-March to try and see the northern lights. The Blue Lagoon is open year round, as are the bus trips to there. Golden Circle and South Coast tours, as well as several other tours are also running. Whale watching trips might be running, depending on weather.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
384 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Lights November/December 2013

Thank you Northice.

We are generally fairly independent travellers are like to hire a car and do our own thing. I am though thinking that tours maybe easier for Iceland especially as we will spend at least of couple of days exploring Reyjkavic itself.

Are the roads likely to be difficult at this time of year for someone with limited experience of driving in ice and/or snow. Presumably it gets dark fairly early as well?

Reykjavik
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Lights November/December 2013

It all depends on the weather and December is very unpredictable weather-wise. Usually the roads are slippery and with snow when you go out of Reykjavik so I recommend a 4 wheel drive if you are thinking about driving out of the city. In December sunrise is around 11 am and sunset around 4 pm.

To increase your chances of seeing the northern lights, I would recommend a couple of days out in the country. I´ve travelled a lot over the years but for the past years my main focus has been travelling within Iceland and exploring all the wonderful things my own country has to offer :) You can say that Iceland is like two different countries in the summer and during winter, both lovely indeed. The northern lights are one of Iceland´s wonders and the most beautiful ones I´ve seen are out in the country, away from the city lights. It is simply magical!

Westfjords Region...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern Lights November/December 2013

Jon H has it right that you never know if you are going to see the lights, but if they are around then the countryside is the place to be, and the North (logically) is best of all.

With my friends/family I base myself in havmmstangi if they want to see the lights, which it the beginning of north iceland just 2 1/2 hours from Reykjavík, from there we are able to travel North South East or West depending on what the forecast shows ( http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/aurora/ ) and its also a good base to do some day time sight seeing which is just as important.!

Luxembourg City...
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern Lights November/December 2013

I can recommend Hotel Ranga, spent a couple of nights there and my second night the NL were amazing.

This is where I found it when I was planning my trip northernlightsiceland.com/best-place-to-see-… I also suggest that you check the NL forecast before and during your stay (as Tycho81 points out).

The Blue Lagoon is open all year round and I think the whale watching trips are too (depending on weather). I recommend the swimming pools there, all outdoors with warm water. Many years ago I did the Golden Circle tour, well recommended.

Reykjavik
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Northern Lights November/December 2013

The longer you stay, you increase your chances of seeing the NL, so I would suggest 7 rather than 5 days :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Northern Lights November/December 2013

I agree with Jon, the longer you stay, you increase your chances. I would suggest at least a week!

Hamburg, Germany
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Northern Lights November/December 2013

I spent 10 days in Iceland last year, would have wanted to stay 14 days. So, I recommend 7 rather than 5 days. Also suggest you go to the wonderful swimming pools they have over there.

Seville, Spain
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Northern Lights November/December 2013

My advice - don´t plan your trip around the Northern lights. Enjoy this wonderful country and of course if you see the aurora it´s wonderful. To maximize your chances, regularly check the northern lights forecast http://bit.ly/14gakEz so you can travel to the places they are most likely to be seen.

Yes some tours are running this time of year - I agree with Mary J, swimming and Golden Circle can easily be recommended. Add The Blue Lagoon also to your list :)

orlando
Level Contributor
612 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Northern Lights November/December 2013

Very true, Iceland is a beautiful country, plan your trip around what you want to see, but if you are flexible enough with your itinerary, you can see both the country and the lights! If we had not seen the lights at all, it still would have been the most amazing trip we have ever taken.