We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worldwideinsure for car rental excess--too good to be true?

Starkville...
Level Contributor
281 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Worldwideinsure for car rental excess--too good to be true?

Hi TA members, I am looking to purchase excess reimbursement for my rental car I book through Blue Car Rental for our trip in June. My rental agreement comes with $1500 self-risk and does not cover underside and tyres of the vehicle. Upon research, I came across Travel Guard offering $9 per day up to $35000 coverage but with $250 deductible. Then I also found out about www.worldwideinsure.com which offers excess reimbursement policy to worldwide residents with the low cost of $3 per say for excess up to $7500 plus other great benefits with no deductibles. Does any one know of this company? Is it too good to be true? If I choose Worldwide Insure, is $7500 coverage sufficient to cover the damages to tyres or underside since Blue Car Rental excludes this coverage. I will only be driving for 4 days and do not intend to cross river or drive off-roads. The is our family's first trip to Iceland. I just want to have some peace of mind when driving along the south coast.

I would appreciate any inputs.

25 replies to this topic
Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worldwideinsure for car rental excess--too good to be true?

I have heard of Travel Guard but not the other company. I have bought travel health insurance before but haven't really looked into excess coverage for cars. The reason is that I have credit cards which have car insurance coverage as a benefit. You would have to look at yours to see if you have it. There are differences between domestic and international coverage, some countries are excluded and exotic cars always. But to have coverage, you typically have to be primary renter on contract, pay for rental with card, and REFUSE the car rental company's excess insurance.

Devil's in the details. Maybe ask on Road trips forum?

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
7,462 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worldwideinsure for car rental excess--too good to be true?

In UK we don't have car insurance included in credit cards etc. so until recently the only option was to take the car rentals insurance. I have always taken their insurance as I always think the holiday is pretty expensive and a little more is OK. I always like peace of mind.

As with any insurance there is no knowing how good it is until you make a claim. I presume if there is a problem the car rental company will charge you and then you will have to claim from the insurer. I suppose this is the gamble in knowing if the insurer will settle the claim.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has claimed from this type of insurance.

What ever you do don't scrimp on insurance in Iceland their driving conditions are quite unique in places.

Starkville...
Level Contributor
281 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worldwideinsure for car rental excess--too good to be true?

Amatrip, smudge99--thank you for your response. I normally use Visa card rental coverage but in this case, Visa refuses to provide the coverage because Blue Car Rental already includes loss/ CDW insurance in the price without charging extra cost. Even if I decline the coverage by Blue Car Rental, in reality I have paid for the

Loss/CDW coverage. Therefore, I can not decline rental company's coverage and will be prohibited to use Visa benefits.

As you said, the driving condition in Iceland is unique; I want to make sure that we have coverage against any surprises. Blue Car Rental does not provide further coverage beyond what is offered now. Therefore, I am trying to shop for supplemental insurance to bring the deductible to Zero to have that peace of mind.

I wonder whether I should get 2 supplemental insurances. An overkill?

Or does any one in UK know if www.worldwideinsure.com is a reputable company?

More comments or suggestions?

Thank you so much.

Sussex
Level Contributor
19 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worldwideinsure for car rental excess--too good to be true?

Im sure that I've seen Worldwideinsure recommend on posts to this forum before. I've looked at their website and it looks ok.

For what its worth, I've rented a car with Blue Car Rental in september and am taking all the insurance they offer., Including the Sand and Ash Policy (SAAP) that they have just introduced.

There is still an excess on this of about £1000 so ill probably take out an "Excess Insurance policy" as well - either with worldwideinsure or the AA etc.

I'm risk adverse and hope that this way all my excesses up to about £4000 are covered! Hopefully!!!!!!!

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worldwideinsure for car rental excess--too good to be true?

I am always concerned when a company makes it difficult to understand terms and conditions. They give you CDW but it's not comprehensive? and sand and ash are extra? and all have still a sizable deductible? Makes my head spin )). I usually prefer simpler contract even if it costs a bit more.

I prefer a US based insurance company - just for ease of contact and I feel I have better leverage locally than with a foreign company.

I probably prefer higher coverage with a small ( 250 is a small amt no?) deductible just to be on safe side. Not sure if car rental companies ever pursue it, but there is a clause in most which allow them to charge you income lost on car while it is being fixed.

Just my opinion of course and I am no expert. Good that you do the research now and are informed consumer. Have a great time and a safe uneventful road trip.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worldwideinsure for car rental excess--too good to be true?

I had similar concerns prior to our trip and had to talk my husband into taking the sand/ash insurance. We also purchased the excess insurance, just in case based on recommendations here in the forum. While we didn't need to use either of the insurances (fortunately), Iceland is a unique driving experience and I was glad I had them. We stayed on main roads but the wind is extreme as as we drove south/east and there would be little dust storms kicked up. We also came across a rock slide moments after it happened and had to work our way over and around the debris. You can't control nature.

We did our part by driving safely, washing the car and check in at Blue Car rental was smooth as silk with no issues.

Peace of mind was totally worth it!

Starkville...
Level Contributor
281 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worldwideinsure for car rental excess--too good to be true?

Thank you for all sharing your experiences. It is indeed frustrating at times dealing with the insurance issues. In my case, I like to buy as much coverage as possible but I do not know which company offers dependable coverage. Some one posted his experience with Travel Guard, stating that they refused to cover a dent while it was parked in the parking lot because no police report was filed. How is that possible to call police every time even for damages like that?

wannabeinkona, Can you tell me where did you buy the excess insurance for the rental car through Blue Car Rental? Thanks.

nyc
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Worldwideinsure for car rental excess--too good to be true?

I haven't had any experience with worldwide insurance, but I have insured my excess a number of times with another British excess insurance company by the name of QUESTOR (www.questor-insurance.co.uk), that has similar coverage. Last year I had rented a van in Portugal and had damage for which Europcar charged me1000 Euro. Within 48 hours of Questors receiving the relevant documents they approved the claim and sent me a bank check. I know also of another friend who had a claim and it was processed immediately. You can buy world-wide coverage up to 50000 pounds sterling for a fraction of what the added coverages will cost from the car rental company and the policy is for one year. Of course, if you have damage, you will have to pay it and claim from the excess insurance company.

London, United...
Level Contributor
547 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worldwideinsure for car rental excess--too good to be true?

One thing to keep in mind- read the small print! I've just taken out a policy with worldwideinsure who were the only ones I could find which covered damage incurred on non made-up (ie gravel) roads. Questor excluded any damage if the road wasn't tarmac or public (ie driveway to a hotel was out). Questor also exclude any act of volcano/flood which is pretty important for iceland!

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worldwideinsure for car rental excess--too good to be true?

I have found out that if an insurance is ,,too good to be true" it usually is so.

Reply to: Worldwideinsure for car rental excess--too good to be true?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted