We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East fjord driving route suggestions

London, Canada
Level Contributor
109 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
East fjord driving route suggestions

We are doing a ring road self drive, to include four nights in the Westfjords, in the first two weeks of June. Day 5 is from Hof'n to Seydisfjordur, a village we would like to explore a little before heading the next day to Lake Myvatn.

Scenery wise, would anyone advise taking the shortest route ( 3 hours according to googlemaps) via 939, staying on 1 past Breidalsvik, taking the tunnel on 96 past Faskrudsfjordur to Reydarfjordur, or (final option!) going all the way around on 955. Of course we plan on stopping numerous times during whichever route we take!

Thanks.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,046 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East fjord driving route suggestions

Do the fjords and tunnels, it´s the most scenic route.

Ohio
Level Contributor
444 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East fjord driving route suggestions

We did that route through the tunnel today from Hofn to Seydisfjordur .....it was a warm, sunny, cloudless day and the drive was absolutely beautiful. Your final option road is partially a gravel road, according to the map which we chose not to do. The route takes longer then you think if you stay within the speed limit and yes....you will be stopping often. Seydisfjordur is a pretty little town and worth exploring. We are here now.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: East fjord driving route suggestions

Hi, I am planning on driving through this area in May. Which route did you choose to take and what would you recommend?

Ohio
Level Contributor
444 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East fjord driving route suggestions

NGB2014....we took rt. 1 and then the tunnel past Fastkrudsfjordur to Reydarfjordur. We continued on across the mountain to Seydisfjordur on that glorious beautiful day for what we thought would be 2 nights. But, the day that we were supposed to leave, a winter storm blew in. Even though we attempted to get over the mountain, there was zero visibility ...so we turned around and spent another day in Seydisfjordur. However, I would still recommend continuing on to Seydisfjordur as it is a lovely town...but, watch the weather, knowing that you will have to cross the mountain when you plan to continue on. Hope this helps...though, I was not sure who you were asking for advice.

Reydarfjordur...
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East fjord driving route suggestions

Of you are arriving from the south, I world recomend the fjords, you can visit all the small towns on the coast line, every one of them has it's own caracter and there are plenty oft things to se during the drive. I world even recomend, if the weather is good, that you do not drive trough the tunnel between Fáskrúðsfjörður and Reyðarfjörður, but instead take the old coastline road wich has a spectacular wiew over the island Skrúður and the two fjords. But check first the road condition on www.vegagerdin.is

Edited: 8:28 pm, April 11, 2014
6. Re: East fjord driving route suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 13, 2015