We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ring Road at the beginning of March

Copenhagen, Denmark
3 posts
Save Topic
Ring Road at the beginning of March

Hi all,

I'm very sorry if this question has already been asked, but I would like to know before I finally book all components of my trip. I found a company called Iclandic Farm Holidays and was wondering if anybody had knowledge about this company?

More specifically, I was look at their express self-drive tour around the Ring Road. It involves renting a car and leaving from Reykjavik. 6 days/5 nights. They set up all of the lodging and give us a GPS with a suggested itinerary. My main question here is what are the weather conditions and the safety of driving the entire Ring Road in 6 days (with stops for pictures and gas fill ups) for the first week of March? Should I be expecting blizzard conditions? Ice on the roads? Impassible portions? Or is everything pretty mild and well-mannered when talking driving for the first week of March?

I am booking the remainder this trip tomorrow since it's very close to the time that I need to be getting ready to go on the trip, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't getting myself into some kind of crazy scenario that would make driving the Ring Road more of a headache than an awesome experience.

Any responses are welcome, and I appreciate everyone's time!

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,046 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ring Road at the beginning of March

Here you go : http://www.safetravel.is/en/Winter/Driving/

Copenhagen, Denmark
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ring Road at the beginning of March

Thanks! Basically what you're saying is that there's no way to know but the potential is there for some rough driving conditions? Should there be terrible weather conditions, will I still be able to drive, or will there be impassible areas of the Ring Road if such conditions occur?

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,660 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ring Road at the beginning of March

There was a thread earlier this year about someone who had got stuck at Seydisfjordur because of bad weather. I think it was possibly in September, and they missed their flight. So bad weather can happen and you could be snowed in.

The section of road from Egilsstadir to Myvatn is very desolate with virtually no settlements. So at a guess in bad weather it could be difficult to drive.

We drove the ring road in the same time scale but this was in mid summer with 24 hour daylight. We had pretty long days but was no problems with the daylight. You wouldn't have that luxury. Also some of the sights may be impossible to reach in winter.

In winter, which March still is, you need to be flexible as the weather is so unpredictable, you may be better to stay around Reykjavik and the south. You may be lucky and see the NL's so won't want to be driving long distances the next day.

Good luck have a great holiday, it's a wonderful country whatever you do.

Copenhagen, Denmark
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ring Road at the beginning of March

As long as I can get to Reykjavik at any time on the 7th of March I should be fine to catch my flight.

Seydisfjordur seems to be wayyy east off any sort of main road. Do you remember what the road was like between Egilsstadir and Myvatn? Paved or gravel?

The cheapest, most effective way for me to go around Iceland is with a small car, not 4WD or a big off-road vehicle so I wasn't really planning on reaching a ton of sights too far off the main road. This trip has been primarily planned with catching the northern lights in mind, and decided that an abbreviated drive around the country to get a feel for it would be great. Before even going I've told myself I will be going back to spend more time there. But the travel rates for the winter are so much nicer than what is offered in the summer.

Travel companies wouldn't offer a winter Ring Road trip with a basic car if it wasn't totally safe and easy to get done, right? Too many liabilities if you ask me...

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,660 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ring Road at the beginning of March

The road from Egilsstadir to Myvatn is paved but is one of the bleakest roads I have driven. The point I was making that it is possible to get stuck and not being able to get back to the airport.

At the end of the day it's all down to your attitude to risk, it's just something I wouldn't do.

Icelandicguide will most be better placed to advice if a small car is sensible to drive these distances at this time of year.

Akranes, Iceland
Level Contributor
4 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ring Road at the beginning of March

I would not recomend doing this tour in March. You can expect all kinds of weather and driving conditions. Icy roads and blizzard is higly likely.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ring Road at the beginning of March

Hi there! I am planning the same trip; RING ROAD during winter (mid to end of March/2014).

Did you complete the entire drive within the planned 6 days last March?and what type of car you used?

Any info you can share would be great! Thanks!

New York City, New...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ring Road at the beginning of March

I also plan on travelling the Ring Road between March 29th to April 3rd and trying to get an idea how the road conditions might be. Any posts on what this winter has been like or tips greatly appreciated. Most concerned about our stay in Seyðisfjarðarhöfn and conditions in that general area to Akureyri.

9. Re: Ring Road at the beginning of March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 06, 2015