We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the drive from Gullfoss to Hella in the south?

Starkville...
Level Contributor
288 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
How is the drive from Gullfoss to Hella in the south?

Hi, Can someone share your first hand experience about the road condition and scenery along this route? After the golden Circle, we plan to drive to Hella for overnight stay. This trip will be in Mid- June and we will most likely be driving this route after 7pm. The map advises us to take road no 35, no 358, then no.30, before joining the no 1 to Hella. Are these roads well paved ? Are there a lot of winding twisting roads to navigate? Is this a scenic route?

I would appreciate any inputs. Thanks in advance.

Florida
Level Contributor
443 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is the drive from Gullfoss to Hella in the south?

Easy as pie. We did the same thing. Got off plane, did golden circle in hail, rain, sleet, snow, sunshine, just to name a few, then drove to dinner then hella for the night.

Vogar
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How is the drive from Gullfoss to Hella in the south?

The route is via roads 35, 359 and 30, all paved and no winding twisting roads to navigate. I would consider this road scenic, in some areas at least.

Starkville...
Level Contributor
288 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is the drive from Gullfoss to Hella in the south?

Thank you RobBas and Valdisig for the helpful information. It is always assuring to be advised by someone who has been there, done that. RobBas-- it must have been quite an experience to go through all that hail, sleet, snow, sunshine and still keep your sense of humor. :)

Many thanks to both of you .

Ashbourne, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is the drive from Gullfoss to Hella in the south?

I have just got back from iceland. We drove part of this route in snowy conditions - it will be fine in summer. Enjoy - it's fabulous.

Florida
Level Contributor
443 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is the drive from Gullfoss to Hella in the south?

It was one heck of a way to start our trip, all of this weather including rain hit us within a 6 hour period. We did not dress warm since we would be on a plane for 7 hours but my wife did change when we got to Iceland, but macho me did not... boy did i regret it. I was miserable towards the end of that day and I got a horrible sinus infection that hurt for 3 days... We wondered what the heck we got ourselves into... but then we had sunshine and clear nights most of the rest of the trip. As bad as Day 1 was, it was kind of awesome for us, in FL we do not see cold weather much... hence our trips to cold places.

Right before we got there they had a HUGE blizzard that did serious damage, very unpredictable place.

Edited: 2:41 pm, February 11, 2013
Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How is the drive from Gullfoss to Hella in the south?

Any recommended stops along the way or a place for dinner? Planning the same route as well, thanks!

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
7,812 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How is the drive from Gullfoss to Hella in the south?

Do remember you will have 24 hour daylight so you will have no problems driving. Stay as late as possible in the Geysir/Gulfoss area because the light is fabulous as the sun sinks in the sky. It's a really soft yellow light which makes for amazing photos.

I hope you have good clear weather, it's an amazing country.

Starkville...
Level Contributor
288 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How is the drive from Gullfoss to Hella in the south?

RobBas--I just read your recent post. What a day you had. I certainly hope the weather will be peasant enough while we are there. I do not mind moody weather but I am not sure about the strong wind and persistent rain. I book the private guided tours to Thorsmork and Landmannalaugar. I can only pray we get some decent weather so we can get our money's worth.

smudge99--It is hard to imagine a place with 24 hour day light. Can you advise me at what hour the sun sinks in the sky-- so called sunset? We love photography and would like to capture the nature at its best. Sound like a paradise for us!

doncha1--thanks for the reassuring comment. Iceland does look amazing. I am sure I would want to go back again and again.

9. Re: How is the drive from Gullfoss to Hella in the south?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 02, 2014