We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three-week trip in May - itinerary guidance?

Chicago, Illinois
10 posts
Save Topic
Three-week trip in May - itinerary guidance?

Hello! My girlfriend and I have decided to spend about twenty days circumnavigating Iceland between May 17ish and June 6ish, primarily on the Ring Road but also ideally with a few ventures into the Westfjords, the north-east, etc. with the general intention of seeing as much as we can. So, naturally, a few questions:

1. What should we see?! Our musts include all the obvious attractions of the blue lagoon, the golden circle, Myvatn, Dettifoss, etc, as well as hiking on Hornstrandir, Dyrholaey, and perhaps a climb up Hekla. We also plan to make stops and/or stay in Olafsvik, Isafjordur, Akureyri, Hofn, and Vik, for sure, leaving some time to hang in Reykjavik for a day or two on either side of the trip. This leaves a pretty decent amount of our trip to be determined, so can you help us out on other places to go? Any beautiful, interesting, or otherwise alluring places off the typical route that we should go find? If it matters, camping is a completely viable option, which leads me to:

2. To what extent is roadside camping legal, particularly in more remote areas?

3. Car rental. Blue Car Rental seems to be a good affordable option, and their restricted routes only include interior highland/mountain routes, which is fine by us. My question is, traversing the Westfjords and other areas off the Ring Road, would we be way better off renting a 4x4 than something like a Prius? Are many roads paved beyond the Ring Road?

4. Hornstrandir has a particular appeal to me; however, it seems to be mostly accessible on foot or by boat. any insight on how close one can get to it by car? Is day-tripping there feasible or would we be better off camping a night or two out there?

I will be more than grateful for any answers, long or short, you all can provide. Thank you!

Chicago, Illinois
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Three-week trip in May - itinerary guidance?

I'm seeing that Hornstrandir ferries aren't running this early in the year; is it fairly accessible on foot by the nearest road (if we decided to take a several-day hiking/camping trip out there, perhaps with Hornbjarg as a final destination)? Would it be wiser to try towards the beginning or towards the end of our trip?

Vogar
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Three-week trip in May - itinerary guidance?

Some info on Hornstrandir can be found here: http://www.vesturferdir.is/index.php?lang=en&

You only need a 4x4 if you intend to drive on track system in the highland (F-marked roads) and these roads are not open during your visit.

Most main roads are paved, some of the lesser roads also but most of them have a gravel surface of variable quality.

A normal 2wd car is all you need on a gravel road.

3. Re: Three-week trip in May - itinerary guidance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 01, 2014