We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feb travel itinerary - does it work?

Canada
Level Contributor
568 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Feb travel itinerary - does it work?

Hello

Can you please let me know if my travel plans work?

I'm concerned with the road conditions since the weather can be unpredictable and roads may be closed etc.

Planning on arriving at the airport then driving to grundarfjdour for a night. Approx 3 hr drive. Then next morn drive along snaefelles penninsula then explore there and stay a night in a different hotel along the peninsula. How is the driving around this area? Is it doable?

Then drive to south Iceland and stay in a hotel for the next few nights around the golden circle.

Then a final night in Reykjavik

Would you suggest rentl car for the whole week or just for the snaefelles portion?

Am I giving myself enough time to see all the areas. Is this itinary rushed or ok? 6 nights total

Thx!!

Canada
Level Contributor
568 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feb travel itinerary - does it work?

Bump

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,838 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feb travel itinerary - does it work?

This looks alright, but the drive from the airport will be a bit more like 4 - 5 non stop.

Of course you need a car for all the days, there is no public bus service to rely on, and tours are only from Reykjavik city.

Remember to check weather and road conditions every day, and even often every day, since weather can change really quickly up here: vegagerdin.is/english/…

Also make sure you get a car with good, spiked tires. There were many accidents yesterday, when cars skidded of the roads, due to to fast driving on completely icy roads !

Canada
Level Contributor
568 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feb travel itinerary - does it work?

Thanks!! It's probably best to get a 4wd?

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,838 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feb travel itinerary - does it work?

No, I don´t see any reason to do that, unless it will be snow covered when you arrive.

I have said it before, and I´ll say it again !

4X4 SUV´s are the most dangerous vehicles on the road for those who do not have years of training in driving them ! yesterday there were few accidents on the highways due to icy conditions, and almost all were with 4X4 vehicles !

The Best is to get a Sedan with AWD, like the Skoda Octavia or Subaru, but, this does NOT give you the ability to drive faster, it only makes it safer under icy conditions and at a appropriate speed.

IMO there is no need for a SUV, unless you are going into the highlands (impassable for all in the winter), or plowing through snow, and you do not need to do that.

If you still insist on hiring a 4X4 SUV, you have to understand, they are usually not as comfortable as a Sedan, and they are NOT made for fast driving, and they have higher point of gravity, and therefore roll over more easily, and they use more fuel, and finally if you get stuck in a SUV, you usually need a bigger SUV to get you out, and you might be far off ,,the beaten path"

So consider this carefully before hiring a 4X4 SUV, that you are not familiar with.

And now, I´m out to look for the Northern lights !

Edited: 12:51 pm, January 13, 2013
Canada
Level Contributor
568 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feb travel itinerary - does it work?

Thanks a lot!! That makes sense. Many travel agents just blindly recommend the 4x4

Enjoy, I hope you find them!

Canada
Level Contributor
568 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feb travel itinerary - does it work?

May I also ask how is the drive from hotel budir to laki tours?

I hear it's over mountain terrain so in this case would by 4x4 help ? What are your thoughts

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,838 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feb travel itinerary - does it work?

Of course they recommend a 4X4, it´s more expensive = more commission to the travel agent.

The drive from Budir to Grundarfjordur is over a mountain pass, a little steep in parts but nothing a regular car can´t handle.

I´d still recommend a AWD sedan.

8. Re: Feb travel itinerary - does it work?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 15, 2014