We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Akureyri in March?

Colorado, USA
Level Contributor
15 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Akureyri in March?

My friends and I are planning a trip to Iceland in the beginning of March. We want to see Akureyri, and potentially Dettifoss and Myatvn weather permitting, but are unsure of the best way to do this.

Some of my friends want to drive to Akureyri one day, stay overnight, do an 8-9 hour tour the next day, then drive back to Reykjavik during the night. I've read some reports saying that Iceland weather is pretty unpredictable during that time, with random road closures, and wanted to see if any Iceland veterans could give me a more accurate picture on how dangerous that plan is.

The other option would be getting a day tour from Reykjavik to Akureyri/Dettifoss, but the above friends really want to spend the night in Akureyri in case it's awesome. Is there much to do in Akureyri? Would it be worth spending the night?

Thanks for your help!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Akureyri in March?

The day tour from Reykjavik to Akureyri/Dettifoss is just combined domestic flight between Rvk-Aey and then a tour with a local tour operator. So in your case, the alternative could be to book the domestic flight separately with a day between the arrival and departure date - and then book the tour directly with the Akureyri tour operator. That way you can spend a night in Akureyri and go on the day tour.

But you asked about driving conditions. Early March is still Icelandic winter so the weather can be great, perfect, decent or awful and a bunch of different variations between those. There is no way of knowing until the day of the trip, or the day before. For that purpose you can check out the weather and roads conditions sites (see links below). The road from Reykjavik to Akureyri is a part of the Ring Road (road number #1). It has the highest priority of all roads in Iceland and is kept open for as long as humanly possible. In case of awful weather (snowstorms etc) then a portion of it can be closed while waiting for the weather to calm.

The most important thing to do if you decide to drive is to have a good car, with studded tires for the slippery roads, check the weather and road conditions before leaving, and use common sense. If you do this then this is an easy drive.

Weather: http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/areas/

Road conditions: vegagerdin.is/english/…island1e.html

2. Re: Driving to Akureyri in March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, January 06, 2014