We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days to go - itinerary, good/ok?!

Manchester
Level Contributor
88 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
6 days to go - itinerary, good/ok?!

Only 6 days to go till we're in Iceland.

Day 1 - Pick up rental car and drive to Hotel Ranga (2 night stay).

Day 2 - Drive Hotel Ranga to Vik and back. Stopping along the way (is there any where cheap to pick up packed lunch type food) - or is there anywhere to stop on first day to get some provisions?!

Day 3 - Check out of Hotel Ranga. Drive to Glacial Lagoon. Stopping off overnight nearby (hoping to get all views of lagoon. Sunset, sunrise and night).

Day 4 - Drive to Blue Lagoon (1 night stay) - what time does the main lagoon shut?!

Day 5 - Drive to Reykjavik via coast, stopping off on way. (5 night stay in apartment)

Day 6 - Drive golden circle

Day 7 - Finish off golden circle (drop car off at 3pm)

Day 8 & 9 - Time to explore Reykjavik.

Day 10 - Flight leaves 8am. Do you need to be at airport 2 hours before for a UK flight?!

orlando
Level Contributor
612 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days to go - itinerary, good/ok?!

Driving from Ranga to the Glacial Lagoon is an over 3 hour drive with good driving conditions, and I believe that they have had snow recently in Iceland. Getting from the Lagoon back to Reykjavik may take you 4.5-5 hours, again, with GOOD driving conditions.

Having just returned from Iceland in October, you have to be careful when driving with ice on the road!

10 DAYS is a long time to be in Iceland, why race to the glacial Lagoon and back? I'd at a minimum advise staying over in Skaftafell for the night, or nearby

Do you already have the reservations at the Blue Lagoon? I prefered the private lagoon at the clinic hotel there over the public one.

Word to the wise: do not leave any belongings out at the Blue Lagoon, keep everything in your locker. It is a public place, with people there from many different places.

Edited: 3:55 am, November 06, 2012
orlando
Level Contributor
612 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days to go - itinerary, good/ok?!

P.S. From the webcams I have seen so far today, I don't see any snow on the ground in Reykjavik or the Hella area. Perhaps a local could enlighten us?

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,731 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days to go - itinerary, good/ok?!

There is no snow on the south part of Iceland yet, but roads can still be Icy and slippery, specially in the mornings and evenings.

So drive with care.

4. Re: 6 days to go - itinerary, good/ok?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 12, 2013